Page 1410 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 41091013101360140014081409141014111412142014601510 ... LastLast
Results 14,091 to 14,100 of 17205

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    So most of the IR's you have mentioned (in that other post about your jaunts and the law) you use the Actus with the NX500?
    I actually have two "FrankenKamera" outfits that I use regularly besides this one, depending on the photos I intend to take. The first is a modified Toyo VX23D medium-format view camera, which I use with an A7R body and a variety of 35 mm and medium-format lenses when I expect I will need to use tilt and swing movements in addition to rise / fall / shift movements. The other one is a modified Cambo WDS medium-format technical camera, which I also use with an A7R body and the same selection of lenses, which I use when I expect I will need only rear rise / fall / shift movements (i.e., mostly architectural exteriors and urban and suburban street scenes, such as this one).

I'm using the Cambo Actus with the my modified NX500 body for infrared photography mostly because I'm not using it for anything else. This way, I don't have to spend any time swapping bodies back and forth, but can just grab it and head out the door when the mood strikes. That plus the fact that it's the smallest and lightest camera outfit I have available, which comes in handy because all of the IR photos I've posted here have been taken while I'm doing double-duty by also walking my dog.

Just a single image, no stitching?
    Well, Yes and No. I generally don't do any stitching, but I do take multiple photos of the same scene -- typically seven of them -- and then blend them in Photoshop by aligning them, turning them into a smart object, and using the median mode. This has the effect of reducing noise (which IR photography generates in abundance because so much of the image data is recorded only in the red channel), as well as smoothing jagged edges and revealing small, textural details.

For the curious, here is a typical (non-infrared) example of a single file image:

and seven identical files, median-blended into one:

I was planning to test/buy a shen hao canon adapter to 2x3...
    I'm not sure exactly what adapter you're referring to, but I will warn you that mounting a DSLR on a typical view camera usually doesn't work too well. I started down this path using my mid-'80s vintage Toyo 23G medium-format view camera but quickly discovered it wasn't nearly as stable or rigid as it needed to be to achieve optimal results. I found this was also true using a Toyo 45G and it was only after I bought my N.O.S. Toyo VX23D, which was specifically designed for use with digital backs and short focal length, high-res lenses, that I was able to achieve satisfactory results.

Just asking, since I get a chance to and most of the posts are from veterans and long time LF photographers... if you have time Sir..
    Although I've been photographing for more than 40 years now and have more than 25 years of experience using view cameras of all formats, I'm far from an expert about any of this. That said, I'm happy to help when I can, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have!
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88910006.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	193329

still testing the horseman, will repost when I use the cable release socket, for the same shots... Jersey City, Exchange Place, quiet..

Name:	88910007.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	193330

I missed the 3 min exposure, so now the image looks like the Apocalypse.. still the horseman and still Exchange Place at Jersey City..

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post

I'm using the Cambo Actus with the my modified NX500 body for infrared photography mostly because I'm not using it for anything else. This way, I don't have to spend any time swapping bodies back and forth, but can just grab it and head out the door when the mood strikes. That plus the fact that it's the smallest and lightest camera outfit I have available, which comes in handy because all of the IR photos I've posted here have been taken while I'm doing double-duty by also walking my dog.

I'm not sure exactly what adapter you're referring to, but I will warn you that mounting a DSLR on a typical view camera usually doesn't work too well.

Although I've been photographing for more than 40 years now and have more than 25 years of experience using view cameras of all formats, I'm far from an expert about any of this. That said, I'm happy to help when I can, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Thank You Sir... very informative, no the adapter is just a common face plate similar to a horseman 120 back and the tube has a mount for EOS.. type.. OK no its very helpful info..Since I am still getting into the hardware slowwwly..

I did not know that.. about using a multiple shots of the same viewpoint worked. I always thought when layering on Photoshop or any photo-editing software would "drown" the image.
    But the black and white with the cruisers in it that was film, I keep looking at it.. for reference ideas ..

OK thanks again.,.. and I might test a toyo half plate sakai with a tilt-all and hopefully it will be "quiet"... I hope to do 69 and 54.. will post as soon as I can; do the shot and develop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    JG, that's a very interesting look.
    As always, thank you for the kind words!

Regarding the colors, they vary widely depending on the sources of light illuminating the scene and, of course, the reddish / pinkish tint is due to the fact that predominately infrared light is being captured.

(Believe it or not, but I actually decreased the saturation of the colors slightly during post-processing!)
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post

I'm not sure exactly what adapter you're referring to, but I will warn you that mounting a DSLR on a typical view camera usually doesn't work too well. I started down this path using my mid-'80s vintage Toyo 23G medium-format view camera but quickly discovered it wasn't nearly as stable or rigid as it needed to be to achieve optimal results. I found this was also true using a Toyo 45G and it was only after I bought my N.O.S. Toyo VX23D, which was specifically designed for use with digital backs and short focal length, high-res lenses, that I was able to achieve satisfactory results.

I meant Jiaying.. sorry not Shen Hao

Name:	jiaying.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	193331

Image was from Ebay,
    No worries thank you for the technical note Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    I did not know that.. about using a multiple shots of the same viewpoint worked. I always thought when layering on Photoshop or any photo-editing software would "drown" the image.
    Well, it depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it, of course. The technique I'm using originated in the astrophotography world decades ago and works very well for long-exposure digital photography, especially at night, where it's best for inky black shadows to look inky black instead of like a gathering of fireflies.

(Oh, and one benefit of blending files using median mode instead of mean or averaging mode is that it will also eliminate many moving objects from a photo, such as the light trails from airplanes flying overhead and cars or people passing through a scene, plus it will smooth the appearance of clouds and water.)

But the black and white with the cruisers in it that was film, I keep looking at it.. for reference ideas ..
    Unfortunately, the reciprocity factor that must be applied to long-exposure photos killed any interest I had in photographing at night using film.

But that's just me and more power to you if you can pull it off successfully!
    JG

Well I "upgraded" to a MarkII....haha Canon 5D, super takumar 50, Photoshop
    Utah May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    Utah May 2019
    I always admire your Super Tak/5D/Chocolate tone combo posts.

Like!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    Utah May 2019

Tin Can