Page 1406 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 40690613061356139614041405140614071408141614561506 ... LastLast
Results 14,051 to 14,060 of 17205

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    As with everything we do in photography, there are many ways to make a panel image. Even minor changes in print color, border color and thickness make a difference. Some photos are enhanced when treated as a panel while others are worsened. I'm exploring and playing.

One approach is to mimic the folding screen approach where the dividing lines are minimal and unobtrusive. Another approach uses thicker separations, as though we are looking at the subject through a series of window panes. My guess is that different methods work for different photos.
    Hi Ken,

The center one, with the thin white lines, works best for me.

Other folks may have different opinions. Thanks.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The top one with the thin black lines works for me.

Roger

Les

Agree with Roger. The black lines seem to be less obtrusive - my subjective view. Ken, thanks for the explanation + earlier post.

Les

Waterfall Training
    Widelux F7, Provia 400 converted to b&w. Wish I would've had my b&w film in the camera, oh well.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

That one time Jasper Johns visited Moscow, ID...

Nikon FM / Nikkor 50mm f/2 / Tri-X 400 dev. in Xtol
    David
    Comments and critique always welcome.

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Thank you ! These are single photos which were subsequently cropped to a wide ratio and then divided up by drawing lines over the images, all done in Photoshop.

I was originally inspired by seeing the folding screen paintings of Hasegawa Tōhaku (Japanese, 1539 - 1610) and explored it with a landscape image in this earlier post.

Thank you for your helpful critique. Sometimes I post things here when I'm unsure and I'm grateful for forum member feedback.

As with everything we do in photography, there are many ways to make a panel image. Even minor changes in print color, border color and thickness make a difference. Some photos are enhanced when treated as a panel while others are worsened. I'm exploring and playing.

One approach is to mimic the folding screen approach where the dividing lines are minimal and unobtrusive. Another approach uses thicker separations, as though we are looking at the subject through a series of window panes. My guess is that different methods work for different photos.

I think the "exploration" is good, but not so sure of the "need" for a panel in small sizes. What I think would be fun to see would be this wonderful photograph enlarged to actual panel size (in the tradition of Ansel Adams large panels) and put together on boards.

My mom loves birds - she breeds various exotic parrots and enjoys birdwatching. She visited this past weekend and helped me choose some nice bird feeders for our back deck to go with our hummingbird feeders.

Been watching them this week and got a couple decent photos of a titmouse (titmice?). Taken with my D800E and Sigma 300mm f/2.8:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I think the "exploration" is good, but not so sure of the "need" for a panel in small sizes. What I think would be fun to see would be this wonderful photograph enlarged to actual panel size (in the tradition of Ansel Adams large panels) and put together on boards.
    You make an excellent point !

According to Wikipedia even the 16th century Tohaku screens measure 156.8 by 356 centimetres (61.7 in × 140.2 in) or around 5 x 12 feet... and the actual work consists of 2 screens !

Until a well-funded patron steps forward with a commission I think I will put this approach aside

I like those Ken, particularly with the white dividers. It's the same scene as a wide photo of course, but the composition changes as you divide it up because I'm looking at a series of compositions instead of one.

Also reminds me of Koichiro Kurita who has exhibited locally and I followed with interest because of him being inspired by Thoreau.
    These are probably 8x10 negatives photographed sequentially and contact printed as a group. He's big into the handmade thing but I'm open to various methods of printing.

http://koichirokurita.com/beyond-spheres#/i/4
    http://koichirokurita.com/beyond-spheres

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Month or so old now...

645, I think it was a Bronica, might have been Mamiya (whatever camera had been left in the studio when I finished my 5x4 sheets that day)
    Perhaps a little bit of bounced fill light on the shadow side, but other than that a very lovely photo. It reminds me a lot of some nudes done by Edward Weston.