Page 1515 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 515101514151465150515131514151515161517152515651615 ... LastLast
Results 15,141 to 15,150 of 17206

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

That's a bit scary, Randy. Mark, what a wonderful car. I hope you can get fully functioning without too much trouble.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    'Via' carries her original Volvo B-18 4-cyl; rated at 115hp in 1966. The previous owner replaced the original twin SU carbs with a 2-choke downdraft Weber, which probably won't make any difference in power.
    Short story is that I inherited the car from the estate of my oldest friend, who'd owned it for 21 years; the last ten of which it spent in his gravel-floored, falling-down garage in Rochester NY. It came west on a truck, and it's only lately that I have any money to throw at it. So it will be a project for a while- but i hope to have her running in a couple of weeks. And the snow melted in less than an hour!
    Hmmm, friend of mine just send me a newspaper clip, but this was the closest that I found online: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-and-substance

Mostly it was all about the mileage record....pretty amazing. Looks like a nice & sexy car.

Les

Peter, thanks for the kind words. Leszek, thanks for the link. My car will never be as nice as the ones shown, or be worth the fortunes people are willing to pay for them. I plan to drive mine when it's running again; 3 million miles is out of reach but I will have some fun! And she will provide a few 'patina' photographs with the 4x5... in the meantime here's an iPhone sunset beauty shot- note that it hasn't moved but the sun came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Via_sunset.jpg  

My 'which engine' question was driven from personal experience

1967 I saw a new white one on dealer floor with hood up, showing off a 289 Ford V8 engine dressed in chrome

and the beat goes on, as some are still upgrading, even last year

Volvo P1800 Cyan Racing review | Amazing restomod tested | Autocar

https://youtu.be/zcSmHQYd6Zw

Peter, thanks for the kind words. Leszek, thanks for the link. My car will never be as nice as the ones shown, or be worth the fortunes people are willing to pay for them. I plan to drive mine when it's running again; 3 million miles is out of reach but I will have some fun! And she will provide a few 'patina' photographs with the 4x5... in the meantime here's an iPhone sunset beauty shot- note that it hasn't moved but the sun came out.
    Tin Can

I found this bullet in a wall inside my condo building

It was fired from 3rd floor window from across the alley through condo second floor glass brick and stopped in drywall behind an open door

Not a random shot as that house was used for many years for alley drug sales

The last straw for me and I soon sold my condo and moved rural

I saw many dead from aimed bullets over the 13 years I owned the condo

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Tin Can

Attachment 213338It snows once every couple of winters in Tucson, so it's a happy event when it does happen. Last month the snow melted within an hour in town, but stayed for a few days up on the peaks of the Santa Catalinas. Here's an example of what it looked like at home- made with an iPhone.
    Hi Mark

Does the car have a single or two reverse gears ?

The Mk2 version of the 180 in Europe had 2 reverse gears - for when you drove up a forest track and found it blocked you might have to reverse 30~40 miles back to a road wide enough to turn around on.

Cheers

Martin

Martin- never heard of that, and my experience with old Volvos goes back to the late '70s (when the ones I and my cohort drove were cheap, rusty beaters). This car was sold new in San Diego, California, and has only one reverse gear. But Volvo ran a magazine ad back in the day that showed the 1800 splashing down a muddy track in the woods with the headline "Driving isn't bad for it".
    She goes to the shop today for some repairs I can't do, so should be running soon- for the first time since 2008. Luckily my wife wants to see it operational and to drive it- and my 4x5 kit will fit in the trunk!

We went for a dog walk on the St. Norbert's campus today. I popped into a chapel for a quick phone photo:

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That's really nice Peter - love the perspective.

So, I pushed the challenge and went for a Galaxy. Here is Bodes Galaxy and Cigar Galaxy from last night. Still learning but this is getting fun!

Celestron CGX | EdgeHD 8 | Canon EOS RA
    101 Subs at 30 Seconds F11

Pali

Peter, that's a cool perspective working with the resulting convergence.

Pali, the distances involved out in deep space cause a segment fault in my brain thinking about it all.