Page 1119 of 1717 FirstFirst ... 119619101910691109111711181119112011211129116912191619 ... LastLast
Results 11,181 to 11,190 of 17169

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Corran, one of your earlier photos inspired me to try some nighttime photography when I was in Jackson, WY a week ago.

The Milky Way was especially bright and there was no moon. The orange glow above the Teton range is light from Jackson or Teton Village.

This is a single exposure of 20 seconds @ ISO 3200, processed in LR with "s" curve added and slight increase in exposure. WB around 3900. Camera was a D810 with 20mm Nikon f1.8 lens. The lens exhibits noticeable coma if the image is enlarged.

I know just enough to be dangerous !

Nice one Dennis! I imagine the darkness was quite good (especially capitalizing on no moon). The new Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 has intrigued me, but I'm sad to hear it has some coma problems.

The best place in all of GA for stars is just about an hour and a half NE of me now and I just recently learned of a astronomy club that has occasion meetings there for stargazing. Looking forward to maybe connecting with them and shooting there in the winter when the weather is best.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dennis -- One of the most beautiful Milky Way photos I've seen. That orange glow really sets it off.

2 Bit Hack

Dennis, that is a fine shot. Such darkness is hard to find east of the Mississippi River. Jim is right. the silhouette of the mountains does make the photo. You did not have any kind of equatorial mount and clock drive on the tripod? Most of my shots at as little as 8 seconds can detect rotation. But then again I am not using a 20 mm lens.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice one Dennis! I imagine the darkness was quite good (especially capitalizing on no moon). The new Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 has intrigued me, but I'm sad to hear it has some coma problems.
    Thanks, Bryan. No moon really helped tremendously.
    Re the lens. I'm pretty sure coma is somewhat of an issue given the exposure of 20 seconds @ f2.8. The time which is well within the '500 rule'. My understanding is that coma should be disappear at 2.8 or above. I will post sections of the image (center and corner) at 100% when I have a chance.

I'm sure you will have a great time at your GA location where stargazers gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Dennis -- One of the most beautiful Milky Way photos I've seen. That orange glow really sets it off.
    Thanks, Jim, for that generous compliment ! The funny thing was that the glow was so faint - it was not evident to the eye until the camera processed image appeared. The surprises that appear in a time exposure are pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Dennis, that is a fine shot. Such darkness is hard to find east of the Mississippi River. Jim is right. the silhouette of the mountains does make the photo. You did not have any kind of equatorial mount and clock drive on the tripod? Most of my shots at as little as 8 seconds can detect rotation. But then again I am not using a 20 mm lens.
    Thank you very much, Marty.
    We intentionally went to a location where I could get the mountains in the image - thanks to a local astronomer.
    Nothing fancy on the tripod. The 20mm lens is fairly wide, although I've seen some Astro photographers using lenses at 14mm and getting away with exposures at 30 seconds and apparently no sign of movement.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

2 Bit Hack

So I guess the 500 reflector lens is out of the question.

Does that 20 mm have a focusing stop at infinity? Auto focus is the bane of nighttime photography. None of my auto focus lenses have a stop at infinity. I frequently have to use some distant point to zoom to with the view screen to get sharp focusing. I have resorted to using older manual focus lenses (with the AI conversion). I have an 85 mm f1.9 that I use for lightning it is a nice portrait lens too.
    Regards

Marty

Noodling around in my back yard with the Samsung.

multiplex

waxed xerox negative from digital file printed as a cyanotype and mildly bleached

Cool Jnanian! The bleaching turns it dark? or is it toned too?

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    waxed xerox negative from digital file printed as a cyanotype and mildly bleached
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0914_NicholasTravers_three rocks_09123.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	155371
    Here a water's Edge that didn't have an LF companion, but some other-time the 4x5 will join me on that river.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail