Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else buying the new epson printers?

Anyone else buying the new epson printers?

Well I'm taking the plunge on the new epson 9900 printer. I have had the 7800 since its introduction and for the most part I have been very happy with it. I currently use Image print and I have been told that they will have a version available for the new epsons around the same time they start shipping, which should be any day now.

I have been wanting to move up to 44 inch and hated swapping inks so I figure now is the time. It will be interesting to see what difference the addition of green and orange ink will make. Also this printer is reported to be much faster.

I have been the pioneer before and I know that the pioneers are often the people who end up with arrows in their backs. Hopefully that won't be the case this time.

So anyone else jumping in???
    john

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Anyone else buying the new epson printers?

I'm in the same boat John. I've the Epson 7800 and been very happy with it, until I started shooting 4x5 and realized that all of a sudden I could get away with making much much larger prints. But in this economy, I'm just not sure I want to part with the cash for fear of not having a job in a year from now. In fact, I will be putting a lot of purchases on hold for at least the next 12 months because I have zero confidence in a rebound before then. I'm sure I'm not alone, and this belt tightening sure does not help the economy either

There are a couple of people on the Epson Largeformat Group who have ordered them (and even some who have taken delivery), however I think most people are waiting to see how much of an improvement they really are at the moment. I'd love a 9900 as much for the speed increase over my 9800 as for any supposed improvement in quality, however given the state of the UK economy it may have to wait for a while.

David Whistance

I'd love to get one soon, but the economy is dictating choices right now. I've seen a good profile from one and compared in Colorthink to one from my 9800. The gamut is extended, but I have more gamut in some deep shadows, probably because of the RIP and CMYK profiling vs the more conservative RGB driver. I've seen some output, looks good.
    As things are pretty good for color these days, visual performance evolution will be incremental anyway.
    Tyler
    http://www.custom-digital.com/

I expect to have a 7900 next week, just waiting on the SpectroProofer for shipment. The 7900 will allow me to add baryta papers to rag which I currently use exclusively. It will also free up my 4800 for Piezography K7. I previously had a 7800 which I sold when I moved house. No complaints about the 7800's print quality or paper handling but it was a bit of an ink-guzzler at times. I don't think print quality is a reason to choose one printer over another, but maybe there's an edge in the 7900/9900 which will show up on PK papers. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

we have a 9800 series on lease. i think we will look at a swap for the new one. if it is reasonable it would be nice to test it out

John, do you sell many prints? Do you have a gallery?

Your images are beautiful.... I am not a huge B&W fan, but your B&W images fit the B&W mold perfectly.... very impressive work....

Quote Originally Posted by bglick View Post
    John, do you sell many prints? Do you have a gallery?

Your images are beautiful.... I am not a huge B&W fan, but your B&W images fit the B&W mold perfectly.... very impressive work....
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I have started to focus on selling more prints in the last six months. I am doing about ten juried art shows in Florida this season. I have come to the conclusion that there must be an easier way to make a living. My sales have been good but oh man the shows are a lot of work.

For that reason I have been getting more serious about building my gallery. I own a ten thousand square foot retail location on the main drag in Naples. I currently have some of my work on easels in the front of the store. I have had some good success working with designers getting my work placed.

I am starting construction on a one thousand sf area within my space that will be my gallery. I am also moving my scanning, framing and mounting there.

I am looking forward to my new printer so I can produce and display larger work, that was one of the main reasons I moved up to 8x10.

Anyway I am enjoying the journey.
    John
    www.timeandlight.com

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Incremental is the key word I heard here. I'm sure the new printers will be fabulous and somewhat better, but the quality we can get now from the x800 series is pretty darn good. How much better can we jump in one step?

I'm wondering, too, how many huge prints (up to 48") can a person sell in a year? Most people can't fit them on their walls, and the matting and framing are very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    Incremental is the key word I heard here. I'm sure the new printers will be fabulous and somewhat better, but the quality we can get now from the x800 series is pretty darn good. How much better can we jump in one step?

I'm wondering, too, how many huge prints (up to 48") can a person sell in a year? Most people can't fit them on their walls, and the matting and framing are very expensive.
    I'm not sure how many large prints I can sell a year but I'm going to find out. When I display at art shows I always hang the walls full of 24x30 inch images framed to 32x38. These are not necessarily my best sellers but I have sold six in a weekend. They do however draw people into my booth who are amazed by the detail in these semi large prints. Many of them admire the print on the wall and then by a smaller print from my bins.

I have a creo scanner and shoot 8x10 film so going large is part of the equation for me.

I plan to display at least one 40x50 inch print at my shows as soon as I receive my new printer. I don't expect this size to be my top seller but it will be fun when I do sell one. These large prints are a valuable marketing tool to help sell all sizes. In florida there are a lot of new homes with big walls and high ceilings.

I do all of my own matting and framing. My fletcher mat cutter will handle up to 60 inches in either direction and 40x60 mat and backer is a standard available size. so it really won't be that expensive or difficult.

Well reading this it sounds like I have convinced myself anyway