Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copal shutter hangs at slow times

Japan Exposures

Copal shutter hangs at slow times

Hello, I just bought a G-Claron 305/9 at a reasonable price. However, I am realising now that 1s and 1/2s speeds seem to hang especially first time after not being used. After firing it 4-5 times, especially at the higher speeds, they then run through normally.

Is there an inexpensive fix for this or should I return the lens? I assume it has to do with the age of the shutter and lubrication. Should I work it out a bit so it will go away?

Dirk

Re: Copal shutter hangs at slow times

Dirk, the slow speed hanging is usually cured with a simple and very directed lubrification to the little mechanic in the shutter that spins back and forth keeping the timing gear at a study pace (speed governor?). This can be done without removing more than the lens cells and the frontplate on the shutter. There is plenty of information on this site wrt to which lubrification to use and that this is applied in very very very small amounts.

This is a very simple procedure and should not cost much even when handed in to a repair shop.

Here is a link to some shutter info.
    http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?...b69d61e51e6597

this seems a common enough problem with older gear... it's happened with maybe half of the older shutters I've bought [I guess that's why they were for sale!]

finding a local technician who could work on these shutters took a bit of time but once I located him the clean up job was pretty cheap and I expect those shutter will now give years good service before there's another problem

Japan Exposures

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying the shutter more today and it ranges from hanging all the time for 1s and 1/2s and most recently working every time (after I spoke to a repairman about it

Could this also occur if the shutter was not in use for a while and could it "fix itself" (wishful thinking) if it is fired regularly from now on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Could this also occur if the shutter was not in use for a while and could it "fix itself" (wishful thinking) if it is fired regularly from now on?
    It's wishful thinking. Sometimes it works, but the next day the problem is back. As Andrew said before too the shutter needs a CLA.

I kinda think Copals at age 20 yrs and older should be assumed to require a CLA so it's best to take that into account in the purchase price unless you know otherwise. But this is only vaguely my experience. Much depends on storage conditions and usage.

Nate Potter, Boston MA.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Seńora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    As Andrew said before too the shutter needs a CLA.
    Not intending to pick specifically on Dirk... but why does this seem to be such a difficult concept for older equipment buyers? The topic comes up over and over and over again.

EDIT: when I said "older equipemnt buyers" I meant 'buyers of older equipment.'
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 27-Nov-2008 at 09:50. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... but why does this seem to be such a difficult concept for older equipment buyers? The topic comes up over and over and over again.
    In my opinion the discrepancy is, formerly expensive professional tools like LF-cameras now used are sold for nearly nothing. So why pay for a CLA?

People should not be so afraid of opening a shutter and fix it themselves.

Relatively modern shutters of standard size can always be found, if something goes wrong. But knowing how to repair a shutter could be invaluable on a phototrip.

Some very small screwdrivers and some lubrification is all you need.

I have done my own CLA on several different shutters. Many of them can even be cocked and released while open after removing only the frontplate and manualy holding e.g. the rim plate in place with one hand.

We spend hours learning how to use different LF tools, chemistry, papers, scanners, PS software etc... but we can not open a simple piece of mechanics. Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen View Post
    People should not be so afraid of opening a shutter and fix it themselves.
    aye, to be fair, I did "fix" one old compur shutter by randomly spraying lubricant into it and it's still working 2 years later
    and I've dismantled and reassembled some simple shutters like the old kodak ball bearing shutter and got them working again
    BUT they were all ones where I wouldn't have felt too bad about if I'd killed it instead.
    how you proceed all depends on how you weight the cost vs outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    when I said "older equipemnt buyers" I meant 'buyers of older equipment.'
    I saw the ambiguity.... but some of us are both so it works either way