Thread: Lee Filter 115 Push on

Lee Filter 115 Push on

For those who own this filter holder.

I have Schneider 72 Xl, and at some stage in the future intend to purchase the CF, I understand that I need to use the Lee 115 Push on holder

1) On what lenses do you use this
    2) How many filters can you use with holder
    3) Any pictures of the holder
    4) I have a B+W 105mm Polarizer, will it work with this holder alongside a standard filter - will it vignette?

5) Considering the CF is 112mm and lee filters are 10mm, surely if fitting a smaller filter it will vignette

Re: Lee Filter 115 Push on

Quote Originally Posted by more photography View Post
    1) On what lenses do you use this
    I use mine on my big 8x10 glass. I also had SK Grimes manufacture three doughnut spacers, so I can use the holder on additional lenses that might otherwise vignette with the standard holder. With or without spacers, I use my FK-115 with an SS150XL with CF, Sironar-S 300, and Sironar-W 210. I previously used it with an APO Symmar L 480.

2) How many filters can you use with the holder?
    My holder is equipped with two filter slots. Some mechanical vignetting can occur when using three slots on certain lenses.

3) Any pictures of the holder
    See attached photos below (the first photo is the holder attached to my SS150XL with CF).

4) I have a B+W 105mm Polarizer, will it work with this holder alongside a standard filter - will it vignette?
    I believe the Lee 105mm circular polarizer holder attaches to the front of the filter holder (in front of the filter slots). It is primarily useful with normal lenses and longer. I would be very concerned about mechanical vignetting with wide angle lenses.

5) Considering the CF is 112mm and lee filters are 100mm, surely if fitting a smaller filter it will vignette
    Not necessarily. The edges of the front element are typically not used when the lens is centered in the image circle. If front rise and/or front tilt is applied, make sure the filter rails are oriented vertically so you can raise the filter slightly in its filter slot to compensate. This won't work, of course, with a square polarizer, which must be oriented to maximize light polarization, rather than to minimize vignetting.

I have never owned an SA72XL, so I cannot speak to that lens. For more info, I would suggest talking to Lee UK or the fine folks at Robert White (from whom I purchased the holder several years ago).

I have one and use it for my 72xl on 5x8 and for a 90xl on 8x10. This attaches to the front barrel of these lenses so you will not be able to use a center filter or any other screw in filter when using this holder. it is meant for the 4 inch square lee filters and will eliminate most vignetting that would be caused by the standard holder.

www.timeandlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    I have one and use it for my 72xl on 5x8 and for a 90xl on 8x10. This attaches to the front barrel of these lenses so you will not be able to use a center filter or any other screw in filter when using this holder.
    It sounds like you have the standard Lee 100mm press-on holder (FK100), which fits directly over the SA72XL and SA90XL lens barrels. The OP is asking about the Lee 115mm press-on holder (FK115), which is a custom-built part. The FK115 fits directly onto the Schneider 4a and 4b center filters (see http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1379&PT_ID=501).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    It sounds like you have the standard Lee 100mm press-on holder (FK100), which fits directly over the SA72XL and SA90XL lens barrels. The OP is asking about the Lee 115mm press-on holder (FK115), which is a custom-built part. The FK115 fits directly onto the Schneider 4a and 4b center filters (see http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1379&PT_ID=501).
    Eric, you are correct, I totally missed the point. I didn't even know such a beast existed.

Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    I use mine on my big 8x10 glass. I also had SK Grimes manufacture three doughnut spacers, so I can use the holder on additional lenses that might otherwise vignette with the standard holder. With or without spacers, I use my FK-115 with an SS150XL with CF, Sironar-S 300, and Sironar-W 210. I previously used it with an APO Symmar L 480.
    Hi Eric and many thanks

The SS150XL has ahuge IC, dou get any Vignetting with this lens, and what about if I fit one holder + the 105mm ploarizer, do you think that will be Ok?

The SS150XL has ahuge IC, dou get any Vignetting with this lens, and what about if I fit one holder + the 105mm ploarizer, do you think that will be Ok?
    If I use maximum movements (a rare event), I might get a smidge of vignetting, but so far it's hasn't been a problem. My ground glass has corner notches so that I can check for vignetting while focusing, and I've gotten into the habit of checking for vignetting and making any corrective adjustments before finalizing my focusing and taking the shot.

As you are probably aware, the 105mm round polarizer attaches to the very front of the filter holder using an accessory adapter ring (see pages 7 and 9 of the Lee Filter System brochure at http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/images/...m_Brochure.pdf). Specifically, it is fixed to the front of the filter holder and cannot be moved. While removing one filter slot might negate most or all of the added length of the 105mm polarizer, I am concerned that the inability to raise or lower the polarizer in response to lens movements would cause vignetting. I am certain that it would vignette with my SS150XL on 8x10.

I am a bit surprised that presumably neither Lee UK nor Robert White have been much help to you on all this (Matt Sampson at Robert White used to be very knowledgeable about Lee and LF stuff). Lee USA's filter guru (John Adler) is very knowledgeable about integrating Lee hardware with LF lenses, and has helped me a number of times over the years in identifying vignetting issues with various filter/lens combinations. You could try emailing John about all this (mail@leefiltersusa.com), hopefully he won't be put off by a UK email address! I do remember John telling me years ago to be wary of using the 105mm polarizer with wide angle lenses. The round polarizer attachment also precludes use of the Lee hoods, which is why I elected to go with a square polarizer (which fits into one of the conventional filter slots) rather than a round one. If I want to use the polarizer and an ND grad filter simultaneously (the downside of the square polarizer, since it cannot be rotated without rotating the ND grad as well), I just switch to extended latitude negative film so that the ND grad is not needed.