Thread: testing used lenses for sale

testing used lenses for sale

Hi, everyone:

In view of the high prices of new LF lenses, it is always tempting to try the us ed market, despite uncertainties about the past history of a given lens (e.g.was it ever dropped?) and the absence of the warranty that would normally come with new product. The particular lenses I have in mind are pre-owned models of lens es in current production by Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fuji. My problem is k nowing a good (or not so good) used lens when I see one. Two questions:

1)At the place of purchase, say a camera store showroom, what are some visual te sts that can be performed? Let's assume that I have my LF camera, appropriate l ens board, etc. with me.

2) After purchase, on the assumption of a trial period of a few days, what are s ome diagnostic shooting tests that might quickly reveal problems not apparent at the time of purchase?

Any responses will be gratefully appreciated. All the best, Nick.

1.No cracks, no fogging or fungus, do the speeds sound about right, does the shutter stick, try it at all speeds and apetures at least 3 times each. 2. Find a naked tree and focusing at infinity take several shots, after development, check the neg under a loupe, are limbs sharp? If not return it. Pat

All my lenses are used, and I've never had a problem. I always select quality brands (e.g. Schneider Symmar-S and Super Angulons) that have been well cared for. The one thing that I overlook are the few silver specs that can accumulate on the barrel in Schneider lenses. Like the previous post, I avoid lenses with dings, scratches, part of the coating rubbed off, etc.

Nick. One thing I've learned is not to be too fussy about lenses!!!

I was one of these people who verged on paranoia when checking both new and used lenses!! I agree about checking for signs that the lens has been dropped etc, but small marks (often from over zealous cleaning) and those small flecks/specks that cling to internal surfaces of the elements make NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever to the final image. BUT they do offer a bargaining point with dealers/sellers!

One good way of examining a lens is to open the shutter and hold the lens to the light and have a good look. If you find any of those pesky flecks, pull a face and sigh! and then offer a lower price!!

Regards Paul.