Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goertz Red Dot Artar lenses

Don Nelson

Re: Goertz Red Dot Artar lenses

If the longer ones are in aluminum rather than brass, the interest in purchasing is greater -- 35 inch brass in Ilex 5 gets pretty heavy....

Just got two red dot Artars: 9 1/2 & 14. Any info about the particular aspects/qualities of these lenses would be much appreciated. Know theses are not the most rare focal lengths, but don't really care about value (they aren't really mine, were "loaned" to me indefnitely by a photogrpaher friend who doesn't shoot LF so much anymore, and probably wouldn't sell them even if they were), but more about the shooting characteristics and what they are known for specifically and why they are desirable.

Looking forward to playing with...

Solid sharp lenses. Medium covering power for the focal length...I do not know if the 9.5" will cover 8x10 at infinity, the the 14" will.

I use a 19" and 24" on 8x10 for contact printing -- no problem with sharpness. And the 24" on 7x17.

Do your's have shutters?

vaughn

An Ilex 4 and a Syncho-Compur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathik View Post
    I have just acquired 7 Apochromat Red Dot Artar C. P. Goerz AM OPT CO Lenses from a liquidation estate sale, the gentleman owned a graphic arts business years ago. I know nothing about them I was wondering if anyone would know approximate age or value? I have 47 1/2 IN F:15 /35 IN F:12.5 /30 iN f:12.5 /24 IN F:11 / 2-19 IN F:11 / 16 1/21 F:9.5 These all are mounted on metal boards with measurements. Thanks for any help you can give me.Kathi
    Hi Kathik,
    Did you sell the red dot artars? I'm looking for a 47 1/2 inch for my 4'x8'x7' camera obscura.
    Thanks,
    John

loujon

Hey John

Not to put a pin hole in your aspirations of picking up the 47 1/2" RD Artar from this member. She has not been around the forum that I remember and she last posted in 2009 It seems she joined the LF forum to gather prices and possibly to solicit sells on several lenses she had acquired to resell. I'm not sure she had much interest in large format photography so chance are good shes long gone.

As I recall, she had listed them all on eBay way back in 2008-9 using the information and pricing suggestion she was given by forum members.

Hi jrplatinum, Kathik's post is almost 4 years old now, so I doubt she's still following the forum. The lenses were her father's IIRC, and I bought the 30" and had it mounted in a shutter. I sent her a picture of it and might have her e-mail somewhere. If you like, I'll look and e-mail her or send it to you via PM.

Cheers, Steve

renes

Anybody used 4" and 6" Red Dot Artars? Do they perform as good as LF ones? I consider to buy 4", 6" and maybe 8 1/4" for my 6x9.

Not sure but are Goertz Apo-Artars exactly the same as Red Dot Artars? Do they differ?

4" won't cover 6x9, 6" will. I use a 150/9 Apo Ronar on a 2x3 Graphic, it is a very good lens and so is the 6" Apo Arter.

Old Goerz Apo Artars aren't coated, Red Dots all are.

Hello Dan my 4" Red dot Artar covers 6x9cm even though the figures would suggest that it should barely cover 6x6cm at infinity. Clearly with this design the circle of illumination is greater than the circle of sharp definition and whilst the corners might lose something when this lens is used on 6x9 it is still very usable. Goerz clearly thought so too. See attachment.

ATTACH=CONFIG]88006[/ATTACH]

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red dot Artar.jpg