Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goertz Red Dot Artar lenses

Goertz Red Dot Artar lenses

I have just acquired 7 Apochromat Red Dot Artar C. P. Goerz AM OPT CO Lenses from a liquidation estate sale, the gentleman owned a graphic arts business years ago. I know nothing about them I was wondering if anyone would know approximate age or value? I have 47 1/2 IN F:15 /35 IN F:12.5 /30 iN f:12.5 /24 IN F:11 / 2-19 IN F:11 / 16 1/21 F:9.5 These all are mounted on metal boards with measurements. Thanks for any help you can give me.Kathi

Re: Goertz Red Dot Artar lenses

First, resist the temptation to just sell them all as a package deal to someone who makes an offer. The 47 and 35 inch lenses are quite rare and somewhat exotic. They don't sell often enough to have established values. Even the 30 inch is somewhat rare. From there down they are more common. When they were new the 3 longer lenses were incredibly expensive. There is a fellow here who posts as CP Goerz. If he were to consign the lenses and sell them for a fee I can almost guarantee you would get the most possible unless you are also a very seasoned Ebay seller.

That is quite a collection of lenses. Red dot Artars are very sharp lenses and are used by many as large format taking lenses. Age can be determined if you can post serial numbers.
    Value depends on the condition but the longer the focal lenght the higher the value. The 16.5 and 19" are quite common in barrel mount.
    Photos would also be helpful to give you an estimate price.
    Good find.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

If I could only afford a 35 in or a 30 inch for the 11x141 Great find! Good luck.

Jim

www.reallybigcameras.com

Kathi,

The APO Artars were made for over 80 years. Originally, by Goerz in the US, and later by Kern in Switzerland and Schneider in Germany. Early samples (pre-WWII) were uncoated and are less desirable than later single coated samples.

If your lens is labeled Goerz and has a red dot between the words APOCHROMATIC and ARTAR, it is coated and was manufactured between 1953 and approximately 1971. If it says Made in Switzerland on the back, it was made by Kern in the early 1970s. If it says Schneider and Made in Germany, it was made after 1974.

Since you said they were Red Dot Artars and labeled C. P. Goerz AM OPT CO, they were made between October, 1953 and mid to late 1964. Sometime between May and December 1964, the company name was changed and they started labeling their lenses GOERZ OPTICAL CO. INC. to reflect this change If all the lenses are labeled as you stated, that gives us about an 11 year window from late 1953 to late 1964 when the lenses would have been manufactured. Are all the lenses labeled the same? If you provide the serial numbers for the individual lenses, we can probably narrow it down a little further.

However, for the purpose of valuation, the condition of the glass will be more important than the precise date of manufacturer. If you're not an experienced seller of photographic lenses, you may want to seek out someone who is to accurately assess their condition and help determine a fair asking price.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Kathik,

all of the above UNLESS any have LD ( low distortion ) on the face ring, then it's worth monster money. The attacked photo is from a 1967 catalog, hope it's a help.
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 18-Nov-2008 at 23:46. Reason: additional photo

Kerry, Thank you so much for the information. The serial no are as follows

No 787336 24in F:11
    No 788563 471/2in F:15
    No 824275 19in F:11
    No 793300 161/2in F9.8
    No 820886 19in F:11
    No 791343 30in F:12.5

The condition of the glass seem to be in excellent condition they all have covers on them. No visible damage very clean. Thanks, Kathi

www.reallybigcameras.com

Kathi,

The ones with serial numbers in the 787xxx - 793xxx range were made in the mid-1950s. The two with the 820xxx and 824xxx serial numbers date from the mid to late 1960s.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Hello,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just acquired 4 Apochromat Red Dot Artar C. P. Goerz AM OPT CO Lenses, 6in F:9, 10 3/4/N F:9.5, 19in F:11, 35in F:12.5, These lenses has the 806...series #. i would like to know how i can find the value of these lenses.

Thanks Don...

SF Bay Area 94303

Ok, I am good for a WAG.
    Depending on condition the 19 inch $200-500 assuming barrel more if in working shutter. The 35 inch maybe $300-800. Watch Ebay.
    The short ones are less interesting as Artars have less coverage than Normal lenses.
    Do the flashlight test and see how clean the glass is.
    KFry