Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Deardorff 8X10 take the same lens board as kodak 2D?

Is the Deardorff 8X10 take the same lens board as kodak 2D?

Just got a DEARDORFF 8X10 as an upgrade to my kodak 2D . May I ask any help whether they take the same lens board. If not, I have to get some. Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Is the Deardorff 8X10 take the same lens board as kodak 2D?

the deardorff has rounded corners. the 2D does not. all you will need to do is round the 2D's corners and you will be in business. i have found that the rounded corner boards also work on many 2Ds as well. YMMV

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Also the relief area on the 2D is 1/8 inch and the 'dorff is 3/16 so the Deardorff boards are too fat to slide into the 2D. Maddening. I have both cameras also. They really are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Also the relief area on the 2D is 1/8 inch and the 'dorff is 3/16 so the Deardorff boards are too fat to slide into the 2D. Maddening. I have both cameras also. They really are not interchangeable.
    too bad for you.....sounds like the lens boards gods are against you! i have a deardorff board with a tiny little 180mm protar that fit(s) on my 2D, century universal, and the adapter board i made for my 11x1! i guess i got some good luck at times.....BUT i never have tried it on a dorf.......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    too bad for you.....sounds like the lens boards gods are against you! i have a deardorff board with a tiny little 180mm protar that fit(s) on my 2D, century universal, and the adapter board i made for my 11x1! i guess i got some good luck at times.....BUT i never have tried it on a dorf.......
    You can router the 16th inch off the Deardorff boards so they fit into the 2D but then they wobble around in the Deardorff. Not good.

Not all Deardorff 8x10 boards are round corners. My particular one uses square corners. It's one of 5 in an early transition cameras per Jack Deardorff. The bed dimensions were different than the early ones and were a transition to front swing cameras. MY camera originally had no front swings. Jack also tole me there were some contract cameras with square corners. If I remember correctly they were military models.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    You can router the 16th inch off the Deardorff boards so they fit into the 2D but then they wobble around in the Deardorff. Not good.
    You could route your board thinner and put some felt in to take up the extra space on the dorff's front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Not all Deardorff 8x10 boards are round corners. My particular one uses square corners. It's one of 5 in an early transition cameras per Jack Deardorff. The bed dimensions were different than the early ones and were a transition to front swing cameras. MY camera originally had no front swings. Jack also tole me there were some contract cameras with square corners. If I remember correctly they were military models.
    The "military" Deardorffs take square corners because when the Air Force ordered a batch of 8x10s they wanted to be able to use their Kodak (or maybe it was Agfa) square cornered boards on their Deardorff cameras. My first Deardorff was a military model. When I had the brass replated the guy who took the camera apart to do the replating said the camera looked like it had been in water at some point. I always imagined a pilot going down over water but surviving and saving the Deardorff.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks all. I got 4 Kodak lens boards and it seems I may have to wait and try to cut some corners first.

In case folks have forgotten, there's quite a nice summary of lensboard specs at S.K. Grimes: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm