Page 67 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: post "in Galli style"

Re: post "in Galli style"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Dang that's nice, Steve.
    Thank you Tony. It is an utterly simple set up. Outdoor under a patio with translusent roof. Shot on a round glass top table with plants about 4 - 5 feet in the background. I metered using BTZS. I have to admit it was a test shot for an idea I want to do at a later stage. The great advantage of 5x4 is simply shoot a sheet and within 30 minutes look at what you have as a print. The Imagon seems to like contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Sometimes I make sharp pitchers. click on the pic for big version
    You can't post this here. This is not "in Galli style". ;-)

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11s.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	75468

Second roll with a new to me 1920s Verito. Speed Graphic with 7 1/2" Verito at f6 on Ektar 100 (via Calumet 6x7 back). With thanks to Mr. Galli for his tutelage.

Years ago, Mark Sawyer asked me if I'd ever used the lens from one of those funky mirroscope lanterns as a soft focus lens.

radiating radiator

I said I hadn't, but filed the idea away for a future time. Well today was the time.

how 'barn finds' get made

8X10 Kodak 2D with Packard shutter inside. 13 1/2" f4.2 M.A lens. * ma stands for massive aberrations.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Lovely effect from that old Mirroscope, Jim! It fits those images well, perhaps because it has the same sheet-metal build quality as the old Fords. (Hey, maybe you can use the Mirroscope body far replacement sheet-metal on the Model T!)

Too bad we get so hung up on the big-name, high-dollar optical legends. These unloved and ignored relics have their own charm, and deserve to be taken out for a spin now and then too! Do you remember if it was a triplet?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Owls Head Transportation Museum, 7/2012. Reinhold Wollaston Meniscus 190mm at f8. tmy2 4x5 in a speed graphic.

I like the smoothness of this lens at f8/f11 under slightly overcast conditions. Don't like my tripod/camera/self reflection, but that's hard to avoid shooting cars from the side.

Very nice ... Love the smoothness too ... And the cropping is absolutely perfect!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Studebaker Golden Hawk? Lovely lines...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

No, I have not read all the posts, but stop it. Now! What Jim Galli is achieving is his and is very interesting, 'although to me his Bristlecone Pine work is still the best. Next I want a portrait of his cleaning ladies as discussed with him personally

A few other people working in the same mode as Mr Galli is OK, but if everyone follows we will end up with the sort of copy of copy of copy disaster we had in the early 1970s with misty sea pix following the Scrimshaw Press publication of the first monograph on Wynn Bullock. (My copy sits on the bookshelves just above this computer - No, I have never made misty sea pix and I never will)

John
    Quinninup

PS - Pix of cars are boring, in this case by lack of definition. I admit to me cars are measured in load over distance by economy - We drive an old white Ford ute, so we are allowed to go slowly - My favourite car of all time is the Volvo 240GL Estate

It's a Studebaker, good eye Mark! Cars aren't boring... The volvo 240 is an icon for a likeable swedish car, but my favorite would be unfortunately a litte less attainable.

Cheap soft focus lenses on cars are good because you can focus on the shapes and lighting and feeling rather than whether the car is a prizewinner or a 20-footer or less with the detail you'd get from LF and fine lenses. For me, it's not trying to recreate a dreamy reminisce cliche, because I'm not that old.