Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: post "in Galli style"

Re: post "in Galli style"

great wok don! i love it!

here are two from a wedding i just shot. i ma trying to get my technique down. i am almost there. either my focus was slightly off or something. looks like the bride may have moved in the one photo. i am still working on perfecting it. the B&G liked the photo.

both were taken using an 8x10 camera and an 11 1/2 inch verito. the 1st is f11 (maybe f16 but i doubt it!) the second is f8. printed on ilford warmtone rc

i like the way the groom is separated from the background.

i plan to print a few more and then hand color them. stay tuned.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Wow Don. What a great shot. Atmosphere and the walls are talking.

Good stuff Eddie. I'm playing with Nicola today. Maybe I'll have something to post a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Wow Don. What a great shot. Atmosphere and the walls are talking.

Good stuff Eddie. I'm playing with Nicola today. Maybe I'll have something to post a bit later.
    did you get the one off ebay from calmeta? i talked with that guy at a show a bit before he listed it. he was hoping to get 3-3.5K for it! went or a lot less! had i known.....great one if you got it! show us when you can.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ciccone View Post
    Not sure this is in true "Galli style" but it was shot wide open (f3.8) with an old 6 inch Dallmeyer portrait lens mounted on a Speed Graphic. I took it last week at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.

Don
    Wow! Don- that's altogether astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    did you get the one off ebay from calmeta? i talked with that guy at a show a bit before he listed it. he was hoping to get 3-3.5K for it! went or a lot less! had i known.....great one if you got it! show us when you can.

eddie
    6 - 8 months ago he might have gotten the 3K. No, I didn't get that one. Got a better one. 42cm so it is at home on either the 11X14 of the 8X10. I'm having trouble getting something big enough for the flange to go in the field. It may end up on the 7X11 8X10 platform.

Re: post "in Galli Nicola Perscheid style"

the lamp

tired shoes

A lens I never expected to own! The Nicola Perscheid was made by Busch Rathenow to Mr. Perscheid's specifications for portraiture. It is the same formula, modified Rapid Rectilinear, as The Pinkham Smith Series IV and the Hermagis Eidoscop. Prices have been notoriously high because Europe recognizes them as a notable classic over our American lenses.

Last week a 42cm became available and the seller was anxious to work with me because he was worried about a tiny couple of spots of fungus on one of the inner surfaces. He offered an attractive price and a 2 day money back guarantee. When I got it I knew immediately it would be a keeper. The fungus had not attacked the glass and it soaked right off. 42cm is a nice size. It's at home both on the 11X14 and the 8X10! These first 2 contact prints I'll share are from the 11X14 camera. The lamp shot was at f5.6 and the shoes at f4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Myself, I am one of those retro sharp focus, total depth of field landscape guys and I don't see that changing. But I think Jim should be commended for resurrecting this vintage technique and style. It is a nice contrast to the Adams/Muench juggernaut that dominates this forum and all of LF. It is clear that a number of people here sincerely enjoy Jim's way of working and in the final analysis isn't that most important?
    Sharp focus, total depth of field is "retro?" Seems to me Galli's soft focus, mood eliciting photographic style predates Ansel and the crew by quite a few years.

Threads like this one should be labeled

"This thread may harm your financial situation"

Man, I love this style and your pics
    Kind regards
    Søren

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Somewhere ppl got confused as to the meaning of photography and instead of the study of light they have contorted it to be in their minds to be the study of acutance.

8x10 Arista 125 FG-7 soup 250mm 5.8 Imagon

this is a 4x5 neg, arista ortho, made with 105mm Kodak anastigmat lens from sometime in the thirty's, from a 8 on 620 film. which I made into a wooden point and shoot, and to get the clouds, a Kodak cloud filter the lot, cost about £15. so Jim Galli has not been here yet

bob