Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: post "in Galli style"

Re: post "in Galli style"

I have the greatest respect for Jim Galli, and enjoy much of his conventional work, but, (except in "Camera Club Competitions"), there was good reason that this pretentious genre of photography had finally died out before WW2. It's sorta like "fisheye" photographs -- seen one, you've seen them all (over and over and over...).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Andrew Moxom

That can be said for ANY type of photography... Everything has been done before.. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and whatever floats ya boat. People do this because they like to. Why do you feel it pretentious?

Myself, I am one of those retro sharp focus, total depth of field landscape guys and I don't see that changing. But I think Jim should be commended for resurrecting this vintage technique and style. It is a nice contrast to the Adams/Muench juggernaut that dominates this forum and all of LF. It is clear that a number of people here sincerely enjoy Jim's way of working and in the final analysis isn't that most important?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Let's get this thread back on track...
    Jim gave me the heads up on this lens so it's kind of like I got it from him.

B&L projection lens (10" I think)
    FP4 (5x7) & Rollo Pyro
    Ilford Warmtone paper & Dektol

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Hey Eddie, nice shots....I too especially like #3 & #4. What Voightlander lens did you use? Here is a shot I made with my Vesta at f8
    i will check the # on it to be sure i get it right when i get home....it is a big one. 14 inch FL and about 5 inch diameter elements. stay tuned. i will look tonight.

keep em coming......i am a bit surprised that more people have not posted! everytime one of those SF or petzval lenses come up for sale they sell like hotcakes.....what are you all doing with them? paper weights? display, bragging rights, OH! i know! ACCUMULATORS!

cheers

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    keep em coming......i am a bit surprised that more people have not posted! everytime one of those SF or petzval lenses come up for sale they sell like hotcakes.....what are you all doing with them? paper weights? display, bragging rights, OH! i know! ACCUMULATORS!

cheers

eddie
    Guilty! I bought a small petzval from Jim earlier this year and have yet to shoot with it. Weather permitting I'll be doing some shooting on Friday, so maybe I'll have something to post in a week or so.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Myself, I am one of those retro sharp focus, total depth of field landscape guys and I don't see that changing. But I think Jim should be commended for resurrecting this vintage technique and style. It is a nice contrast to the Adams/Muench juggernaut that dominates this forum and all of LF. It is clear that a number of people here sincerely enjoy Jim's way of working and in the final analysis isn't that most important?
    Agreed. I actually have always liked the older style photography (thin DOF on full length portraits, and odd effects that older lenses can give, which is one of the reasons I got into large format shooting!) but I actually never new what style of lens gave that effect until I started seeing Jim's postings I just knew it was something with large format. I know some people don't like the style, but that's fine. i don't particularly like 'street' photography, or some other types of photography styles, but I don't shun those who participate in those types of photography, nobody is forcing me to participate
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Well I must admit it's not using a primitive lens but it is selective focus.

Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

This is an 8x10 shot with one of my Petzvals. Can't remember which one. Now that has me upset! Printed on some old Azo stock I have.

Jim

Not sure this is in true "Galli style" but it was shot wide open (f3.8) with an old 6 inch Dallmeyer portrait lens mounted on a Speed Graphic. I took it last week at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.

Don