Thread: polariod type 55 clone

polariod type 55 clone

Polariod Type 55 is (was) one of my favorite films, my problem is that I am just about to use my last few sheets, boo hoo. I want to imitate that lovely, soft Type 55 effect with sheet film, however it seems to be more than just a soft emulsion.....
    But before I start down the route of testing different films and developers I thought you folks might have some ideas on how I may achieve this. My darkroom facilities are limited so I would like to do as much as possible at the negative/camera stage
    Thanks for your thoughts

Re: polariod type 55 clone

Perhaps try a microdol-X type developer, it'll soften the edge of the grain down rather nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    Perhaps try a microdol-X type developer, it'll soften the edge of the grain down rather nicely.
    That, and a nice slow conventional film perhaps?

Efke25? http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191202...ets?cat_id=404

Vaughn

In the early 70's my Polaroid rep told me that 55 is actually Panatomic-X. As you know Pan-x isn't made any more. Just to see I exposed some 55 but didn't process it in camera. I removed the unprocessed film and ran it in DK-50. As best I could determine it was Pan-x. The closest thing I've found to Pan-x / 55 effect is Adox / Efle 50 processed in D-76. It's a beauty of a film that's soft in contrast and has full shadows and open highlights. It's not exactly like 55 because IMO 55 was a little thin in the shadows when highlights were correct. You might try Adox 50 and see what you think. Experiment with different developers and times. In any case it's a stunning film and looks like a 40's/50's emulsion. Adox claims it's a remake of the original emulsion from that era and from my experience I would say this is true. I haven't used DK-50 with it but DK-50 was my primary sheet film developer of the 60's and into the mid 70's. Couple this film, developer combo with some vintage lenses and you might have a great look. I've done this with Bergger (basically super-XX) 200 and DK-50 and shot it through my 1930 vintage Leica glass and had a very vintage look.

Have fun!

Wow.Thanks for your all time and your fantastic, knowledgable responses. I off to buy some film and give it a go. Give me a week or two and I'll post the results. Many thanks again.

You could also try Adox Pan 25 (from freestyle), its one of the thinest, clearest-base films ive seen.

One of my favorite features of this film is the funky edges. Is there any way to replicate those?

The look of the Type 55 neg in part comes from the monobath process used to develop it. Try a slow to medium speed traditional film in Crawley's FX-6a, and you'll be in the ballpark. I've processed Efke PL100 in FX-6a, and it's in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by icefan13 View Post
    One of my favorite features of this film is the funky edges. Is there any way to replicate those?
    Sure -- it is called PhotoShop