Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filters and Digital Age

Re: Filters and Digital Age

I use a Lee filter system myself with a current total of 6 4"x6" (100cmx150cm) graduated resin filters. I have a pack of 3 neutral density (.3, .6, .9) and there sunset trio of graduated red, orange and yellow. This is all for color transparancy film. For black and white I currently use screw on red, orange, and green. Though I intend to replace them with a 4"x4" resin set (that fits in the above holder) soon.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Hhhmmm.... this is a really interesting question that I asked myself after I recently purchased a couple of high-end Rodenstock filters that I could not pass up because they were on sale at half price in my local camera store. I guess the market for in-camera colour or contrast correction devices is dwindling just as fast as the film market.

I, too, think it's best to do as much as you can on film before you scan it.

Wow. Twelve years later... I'm still a guy who likes (grew up on) filters for B&W in particular. Get it right in the camera, STILL less to do in post. Get it wrong in camera? Well that's why we take a backup shot or wait until tomorrow. For me, photography is like fishing... you go out and sometimes you get what you're looking for, sometimes you don't. That's part of the thrill: capturing what you see, letting the light come and fill in for you. Portraits don't work that way per se, but for landscape (at my level) this is part of the joy.... where joy remains a mix of positives and negatives. Photoshop, Capture One, and all the rest: You can spend hours trying to turn mediocre into great. Been there done that. I'd rather spend the same on a great negative to start with. Let Ilford and Kodak, Lee, Tiffen, Rodenstock, etc do some of the work before I step in.

Boy did you dig up a fossil. I answered twelve years ago and I still feel the same. I now carry a pola, a red 25, a med yellow, an orange, an X1 green, a pale pink Fl-D filter, and an 80A blue. I'll probably get a set of ND filters in the near future. I'd like to have ND0.3 through ND1.2 available in full stop strengths.
    -Chris

Hey CDK, thanks. Call it a semi-fossil (me) digs up a fossil (this post). I'm using a Polarizer, YG, Y#8, Orange and Red#23 for B&W, and may get a color film filter or two if I really go crazy (which I haven't yet). Have a collection of ND's and need to use them, but haven't yet.