Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale

Estate Sale

Recently, I went to an estate sale of a friend and former Portland Photographers Forum member. There his family had all his books, magazines, photography gear and photographs up for sale. At first all this didn’t bother me. The family had to clear out all his stuff and get his home ready to sale. But afterward I began to think of all my stuff. What would happen to my magazine, books, gear and photographs when I’m no longer on this earth?
    Most of my magazines I donate to either PPF or I give to schools that have an active photography department or club. I want to think the students there appreciate seeing what is being done in their field of interest. I remember being so when my school would get a cache of magazines. I grabbed what I wanted and left to study.

My books, many of them are signed by the photographers, John Sexton, Ansel Adams, Ruth Bernhard, Christopher Burkett, Bruce Barnbaum, Brett Weston and so on. I’m attached to my books greatly. I must share with my family that either keep the books for themselves or give them to those same schools that have active photography programs. But they must never to sold!

My photographs? Well, I hope that my family will divide the images of what they like and do as they wish with the rest. I had met one photographer who stated that he plans to destroy all his prints and negs. He’s already done one part of his plan. He followed his friend Brett Weston and burned all his negs. Only after scanning some of them for digital output. But his prints will be left to his remaining family.
    I have also collected lots of prints from other photographers starting with a small Henry Gilpin “Highway 1” print and followed by lots of noted and some not so know photographers. Each print speaks to me and I usually pull out my collection and remember why I bought this print or traded for it or was given to me. Again, I hope my family will do the same as I have listed before. Share among them selves and then donate the rest to this time a local art museum.

My darkroom gear, I love it but its really not apart of me. I hope my family will sell some of it and donate the rest. How can one be attached to a print washer or trays or an enlarger.

Now comes the real crutch of what I thought at my friends’ estate sale, His photographic gear. I don’t know about you but I consider my cameras more then mere tools or a means of photographing. They have a life. They are apart of me. My Wisner 4x5 Technical Field camera and I have traveled around the northern west coast. My RB67 has been with me since my early days of school. I remember seeing it in a glass case at my then local photography retailer in Palo Alto, Calif and it said “Buy me. You won’t regret it” The salesman who happen to be one of the owners of the store must have over heard the RB calling to me. He let me work out a deal to pay in installments and six months the camera was mine and I have never regretted it.

It’s my hope that my family never sale my cameras. I hope that my family looks at them and remembers their old man and his adventures with his cameras and the neat photographs. I hope that they will share stories to their families and on down the line.

No, my cameras are special to me. Are yours to you? Do you understand what I’m saying or do you think I’m a crazy person who probably worries too much for his own good about things when I’m good and gone. What do you plan for your stuff? Do you have a plan of action when your not? Share.

I plan to place this thread on other photo websites.

Re: Estate Sale

You would be doing your family a favor by not burdening them with the disposal of material items. Leave them the good memories of you the person, along with a few of your prints. Of course, if they are as sentimental as you about the equipment you used, that would be a different story. Having learned from personal experience, I hope to leave as little behind as possible, while understanding that good intentions are not always realized. I have not yet torched any negatives, but dozens of mounted prints have made their way to the recycle bin this year.

Funny you should bring this up now. My wife and I had a discussion on this very topic just yesterday.

I've had gear and photos and books around my place for years and years. My three kids are all great kids and older now with their own families, carreers etc. They have NO interest whatsoever in any of my stuff (or photography in general, for that matter)! My wife is fond of some of my own photographs and of my photography collection by other Artists but she has NO interest whatsoever in my gear, books, mags. So yeah, my gear is totally meaningless to my family. In fact, I told her where to take my camera eqpt, books and magazines in case (or when) I kick the bucket - to a photo store where they'll sell all this stuff for her on ebay.

You're not crazy by any means, but let's face it, this photo stuff is only meaningful to you and me.

I had to "clean out" my parent's house, going through "stuff" they collected and enjoyed over many years. I promised myself to make sure that my kids will never have to go through the same (lenghty) excercise: I am now throwing out/selling/giving away photography related items, and in my will is stipulated what to do with what I'm keeping and using while I am still around. Unless you're convinced someone in your family will use the equipment etc to which you are so emotionally attached, leave written instructions how/where to dispose of it. Better, start the process now, your kids etc will be grateful.

Agree with the idea of selling or giving it away before you check out. My kids have already received way too many hand me downs. You shouldn't own anything, property included, by the time you are ready for the nursing home.

We are born with nothing, we die with nothing. We lose nothing.

It's called a will and disposition, put it in writing, and why get rid of everything way before just to not burden anyone. If they don't want it and you haven't detailed what will happen and you haven't talked to the parties involved then who cares if it goes into a dumpster?

The historic and rare item like Dagor's, Artar's, Deardorf's, Korona, what ever the case, you need to make the value of the item know to future receivers. If you care then an appraisal or insurance value might help keep the item in circulation.

Why would you burn your negs and prints? I would give mine away to my family.

If I had equipment that was dear to me (say, a 4x5 I took with me everywhere or a camera I had since I was in school) I would give it to family that was interested. If they weren't, I would still ask them to keep it in the family. Someone down the line would have to be interested in it.

As a child I had many great days fly-fishing with my father. Since then I have moved on to pursue other interests. My father is making plans to pass his fishing gear off, and I have let him know that it is best off in the hands of someone who will use and appreciate it, whether they are in our family or not. That does not include me.

When he goes I will miss him greatly, but owning some of his fishing equipment wil not bring him back, and I won't need it to remind me of him. On the other hand, I'll cherish all the old slides of our backpacking trips together!

I won't have much of a problem getting rid of my gear. My daughter caught the bug, so I'll provide the ointment. My son won't have to get jealous, because his interest lies in music. He will be much happier with my guitar collection. My wife gets the bills. And the 401K, if there's anything left of it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!