Thread: Greetings from central Indiana

Not quite a curmudgeon

Greetings from central Indiana

Joined a while ago - then lurked about reading the fourm, thought I might
    as well introduce myself.

I got my first camera (35mm) back in grade school, really didn't use it until
    High School (mid 60's). Someone at the school saw me with the camera
    and the next thing I knew I was using the "Photo Club's" Speed Graphic
    to shoot the schools track team, had some fun, got some pictures in the
    yearbook.
    Moved on from school - no more Speed Graphic, acquired a succession of
    35mm hardware - sold a succession of 35mm hardware (kinda sounds like
    life). Photography came and left and then repeated the process.

Fast forward 20 years or so - discovered digital - acquired a succession of
    digital hardware - sold a succession of digital hardware. Really didn't have
    much fun with digital - it has been hard to wrap my brain arround it - I
    still think like a film photohrapher.

Fast forward to 4 months ago - stumbled upon LF again. Thought about it some,
    now I waiting for a Calumet Monorail 4x5 to be delivered that I found on eBay.

When I get this camera I'll take it apart, clean it, and put it back together and
    see if I can wrap my brain around the 4x5 film format.

Regards to all

Stan G.

Re: Greetings from central Indiana

The camera you use makes little difference in photography. It's what you see and record with it that makes the difference. Of course each format has certain advantages over any other and LF is no exception. LF seems to impose a certain kind of extra discipline in the framing and taking of a photograph due to the complexity of setup, not to mention the film cost - and this can be a good thing. Take time with your new toy and try to visualize what you want to show in your photographs as your eye wanders around the country side. And best of luck!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Welcome. I am from Fort Wayne, later Bloomington, but have since moved to Wisconsin. When they fired Bob Knight, I had to leave too. However, better days are ahead now and I feel like I can finally root for IU and mean it. You will love the 4x5 but give yourself time. It is a much slower, more thoughtful process than 35mm or digital.

Not quite a curmudgeon

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You will love the 4x5 but give yourself time. It is a much slower, more thoughtful process than 35mm or digital.
    Ah - this I am looking forward to. I had the use of a 'blad for about 6 months a
    few years ago. Loved using it. I was using 120 film, the (self imposed) constraints
    that came with knowing that only 12 exposures were at hand - did result in a slower process as you mention.

My digital (Canon) will shoot 5 fps and the mem card will hold close to a thousand
    pictures. Although I can say that I haven't taken advantage of either capability.
    But that capability, because it does exist, impacts the process and changes it.

If you want to shoot sports or auto race crashes - I can see the advantage,
    but that is not the direction that I want to go in.

SG

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome Stan. I miss the rolling hills south of Bloomington.

(Jerold - You are sloooowly being pulled northwest. I did Bloomington IN, Madison WI, then Seattle, WA. I remember running into Bob Knight on the IU campus - I was wearing a Michigan T-shirt on the day of the Michigan/Indiana basketball game. I will never forget his expression.)

Welcome, Stan. Central Indiana has a lot of unrealized photographic potential -- I still go back to Shades and Turkey Run state parks a couple of times a year (in fact, my wife and I are going down later this week for a couple days' R&R.)

Also active in your area is the Midwest Large Format Asylum, http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/ We get an outing or two in Indiana a couple of times a year and there are a number of members in your area. It's a low-maintenance group, you should check us out.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herta View Post
    Welcome Stan. I miss the rolling hills south of Bloomington.

(Jerold - You are sloooowly being pulled northwest. I did Bloomington IN, Madison WI, then Seattle, WA. I remember running into Bob Knight on the IU campus - I was wearing a Michigan T-shirt on the day of the Michigan/Indiana basketball game. I will never forget his expression.)
    Very perceptive. We have some friends who moved to Bellingham and they really enjoy it. I spent about 3 weeks this summer in Washington and Idaho. Very nice out there. I am currently working on printing my negatives from the Olympic/Mt. Rainier trip which is taking me forever. Trying to get about 20 good 16x20's which is not as easy as I thought it would be.

I am from the midwest and even though I have lived all over the country and traveled a lot the midwest feels like home. I think I could only live in an area where both smallmouth bass and northern pike coexist. But I prefer to take photographs where trout live. I would have given you the same look for a Michigan T-shirt by the way.