Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carleton Watkins at the Getty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Carleton Watkins at the Getty

Last Monday I went to the opening reception of the new Carleton Watkins exhibit at the Getty Museum........................................... ......................................................................... ............................................., it was great!

If you would like to know more about it and you are in the mood of forgiving me for butchering the English language, you can read my after thoughts in my blog.

http://foschiphotojournal.blogspot.com/

I hope you enjoy.

Domenico

Dave Karp

Re: Carleton Watkins at the Getty

Thanks Domenico. I will have to check it out.

I own a couple of 16x20 (approx) Watkins (been in the family for years). One of them is a view of the Three Brothers...but a vertical. That and one of a two steam locomotive train somewhere in the Sierras (Central Pacific -- has men standing on top of it)) were images I looked at daily growing up in my home.

No wonder I gravitated towards view cameras and contact prints!

Might be down that way over the Thanksgiving Holiday...who knows, might end up heading over to the Getty.

Vaughn

YEs, David, it is really worth it.
    Some of those images really jump at you.

Vaughn, you lucky sod! ( I am british, didn't you know that?)
    He's got 2 Carleton Watkins.

I hope you will be able to meet up when me and Hugo and someone else from this forum will gather for something.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Vaughn, you lucky sod! ( I am british, didn't you know that?) He's got 2 Carleton Watkins.
    Yes, lucky indeed. I have them on the wall now-- in the original frames...they have hand-forged nails holding them together. I have re-matted them a couple times...unfortuntely they are mounted on non-archival board.

My best guess -- they originally were part of an "album" that were often made way back then (of original prints) and were eventually seperated from the album and sold as seperate prints around the turn of the century.

I'll have them on the wall for another month or so, then will "rest" them for a few years.

Vaughn

I saw the Watkins show at the Metropolitan Museum in New York several years ago. I was tempted to buy the catalogue, but I didn't want the reproductions to cloud my memory of the originals, which are really fantastic.

Dave Karp

I am really looking forward to this. They had a show at Yosemite a few years ago with mammoth plate photos from Watkins, Muybridge (sp?) and others. They also have some Watkins photos in the dining room at the Wawona Hotel. It will be nice to see an even bigger show.

Albumen prints were usually starch mounted. Obviously, you would turn them over to a conservator for any kind of remounting, but as long as the paper hasn't become brittle, it's not hard to unmount a starch mounted print. It is probably best to do nothing, but it might be worth consulting with a conservator at the Getty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Albumen prints were usually starch mounted. Obviously, you would turn them over to a conservator for any kind of remounting, but as long as the paper hasn't become brittle, it's not hard to unmount a starch mounted print. It is probably best to do nothing, but it might be worth consulting with a conservator at the Getty about it.
    Once I found 4 prints of the Scottish photographer McPhearson in a Salvation Army store for 2 bucks each, they were beautiful panoramic albumen prints of the Roman countryside and ancient architecture.
    Their yellowed mount boards are also completely bonded to the very thin paper.
    David, do you know what's the process employed for such a surgical job?
    I would think that Albumen prints are especially vulnerable not just because they are thin but also for the albumen.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I agree that it is probably better to do nothing. One frame (the train photo) had a crack in the glass for several decades, causing some discoloration in the smoggy air of Los Angeles. Amazingly enough, the discoloration is gone after 30 years of being behind a whole piece of glass. The paper is slightly wavey where the crack was.

I want to re-mat them (it has been perhaps 20+ years since I did it last. I want to use a warmer mat board (8-ply, antique white) and replace the piece of buffered board I put on the back (behind the original acid board) -- just to improve the general pH of the package.

Vaughn