Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst View Camera Ever?

Re: Worst View Camera Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    My vote for the all time worst view camera -- the Newton NU- Vue 4X5 -- what a dog!!! The entire design was just plain BAD!

At one time, I owned a B&J Grover 8x10, too. It was as firm and steady as an Aspen Leaf in a wind storm -- but somehow, we got along quite well.
    Another vote for the Nu-Vue in 4x5 and the Grover 8x10. Both are clumsy, extremely heavy and a real PIA.

A Bender 4x5 would be it for me if it weren't so darn cheap. But generally I dislike all monorails where the rail sticks in your throat.

Worst serious camera (assuming we are leaving out dollar store cams and such) would be a Contax G. Worst of both the SLR and RF worlds!

Graflex graphic view... 1 and 2

OK I get the reason they had a triangular rail.. so that tightening the standard onto the rail would not change the position.. but just about everything else i hated.

Canham 8x10 metal and linhof technikardan S 45... they just can't handle any wind !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Another vote for the Nu-Vue in 4x5 and the Grover 8x10. Both are clumsy, extremely heavy and a real PIA.
    I'm curious about your comment re: the Grover 8x10. I use one of those and mine weighs 8.5 lbs. (US) -- not bad at all for an 8x10 camera. Like all monorails it's a PITA away from the car, but it's certainly luggable for a mile or so. And it was dirt cheap. Are there other, more weighty, models?

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Calumet Cadet.

I owned a Tachihara that broke while it was in the camera bag. To this day, can't figure out how it happened, beautiful camera though.

On that turkey camera ...can you fit the turkey in a drum or just use tray processing?

Quote Originally Posted by john borrelli View Post
    I owned a Tachihara that broke while it was in the camera bag. To this day, can't figure out how it happened, beautiful camera though.

On that turkey camera ...can you fit the turkey in a drum or just use tray processing?
    Polaroid Type 55!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I'm curious about your comment re: the Grover 8x10. I use one of those and mine weighs 8.5 lbs. (US) -- not bad at all for an 8x10 camera. Like all monorails it's a PITA away from the car, but it's certainly luggable for a mile or so. And it was dirt cheap. Are there other, more weighty, models?

Mike
    Mike, 8.5 lbs for an 8x10 Grover is pretty light. My grover, with 20 in. rail is ~13.5 lbs. I did make a wide angle focusing bed for it that brought the weight down to around 8.5 lbs. With the rail it's clunky but does well for portraits and heavier old lenses.

I think brush development is the only way to develop a turkey camera in trays, but some swear by the baster.

The worst one I used was a Linhof Technica IV. It was very well built, but not very versitile. It also jammed every time I tried to collapse the bellows to put it away.

Unlike many others here, I happen to love my Calumet C-1, though. It had a number of useful modifications done to it in the early 1960s. I just wouldn't want to drop it on my foot.

--Gary