Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Process Prints

Alternative Process Prints

I'm embarking on a pinhole/zone plate/argyrotype project, so I thought I'd start a thread for Alt. Proc. images. I played around with Platinum/Palladium a few years ago, but with money getting tight I decided to go with a cheaper process for now. I was originally going to print in Kallitypes, but decided to try Argyrotypes first because it seemed like a simpler process for me to cut my teeth on.

This is the best of the 4 prints I made last night from a good-but-not-great negative that I used because it did not matter if I managed to destroy the negative by not drying the sensitizer enough, etc. Despite the fact that I didn't like the neg that much, I think the resulting print has a pastoral feel to it that I like.

The neg was shot in a Leonardo 3" 4x5 camera on Acros @ EI 50 (12 second exposure). Developed in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 for 36 minutes. Printed on Cranes Cover paper with the Bostick & Sullivan Argyrotype sensitizer, 9 minute exposure with a black light bulb. Toned in KRST 1:100.

Re: Alternative Process Prints

Here is a carbon print -- 8x10

Oak, Cascade Creek, Yosemite National Park

Vaughn

PS...nice start, Benno!

Wow Vaughn, that is amazing. If it looks that good on my computer it must be amazing to see in person. Stunning! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by photobulley View Post
    Wow Vaughn, that is amazing. If it looks that good on my computer it must be amazing to see in person. Stunning! Thanks for posting.
    Thanks. What you can not see on the screen (besides the highlights that I did not capture on the scan, but are in the print), is the raised relief the print has -- the blacker the tone, the thicker the emulsion is. The image is made of various thicknesses of pigmented gelatin (carbon is the pigment, thus the name of the process -- not to be confused with the term stolen by inkjet printers using carbon-based inks). Highlights are mde from a very thin layer of pigmented gelatin and the the layers get thicker as the tones get darker. Even when you get to darkest pure black tones, one can see detail as raised relief.

Quite a neat process. Very very cheap in materials...Knox Unflavored Gelatin and sugar from the supermarket, some lampblack watercolors in tubes from the local art store, and some Ammonium dichromate...and the print is on fixed-out photo paper that was too old to print with. Expensive in time required, but not all that bad compared to many other alt processes.

Vaughn

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Vaughn, you are letting out the secret on the carbon transfer process! I was fortunate to see Vaughn's work in Yosemite in February of this year and take a quick workshop in the bay area with him. I can tell you that if you are into some of the finest quality prints you can produce this process is in my opinion the best! The reliefs and the ability to capture a full range of tones with great detail is amazing. You need to spend a lot of time on your images and learn the process but the results are amazing. Here is my first attempt. The scan does not do it justice but this image taught me a lot.

Jim

I've been studying this process since it really intrigues me. The main problem I have is getting the time to devote to it. They do look gorgeous on my screen though.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Here is my latest platinum-palladium print:

I did it with the Bostick&Sullivan kit, the ratio Pt/Pd was 7/17. I don't do them often and after careful selection of the negative, so the precious metal investment with B&S holds for a long time ...
    The negative was on 8x10 inch Acros, E.I. 125 ISO , developped in X-TOL at 22°C for 12 minutes. The picture's subject is an overflow of a pond, but standing there, it reminded me of the monolith in Stanley Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey".

Best regards, Christoph

this is an VDB.

foma 100 pyro hd 2:2:100 6 min. printed in the sun for about 3-4 min.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eric Biggerstaff

Here is a recent one, I am learning the Pd Na2 process, very fun.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Vaughn & Jim - Great carbon prints, that's a process I really want to try one of these days.