Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Howtek 4500-Questions-Software, Comparisons, Etc.

Re: Howtek 4500-Questions-Software, Comparisons, Etc.

Hi all, Ive been using Gamsol fluid to avoid crazing to the drum and unfortunately I used it with test tape instead of kami tape, just found out yesterday that tesa tape is more suited for dry mounting. Alas the tesa tape is leaving alot of sticky residue behind, I was using novus 1 with a pec pad and then with a poly soft wipe which helped but there is still abit of smudging on the drum. Can anyone recommend a drum compatible solution to cleanup the last remaining tape residue? Evan from Aztek advises Kami drum cleaning fluid will be suitable however its very difficult to import via air into Australia due to its flammability and shipping via sea means a large volume to order to make it worthwhile. Suffice to say ive ordered Aztek wipes and Kami tape now. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Regards Dean

Hi, has anyone used Naphtha on their drums with good results eg no crazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Findingmyway4ever View Post
    Hi all.

I have some questions about the Howtek 4500 scanner that I hope can be answered here.

1) I have read opinions on the software people are using with the scanner. Some say Silverfast is good, but it does not allow for the better level of adjustments that Trident offers. I have also read comments that Silverfast has trouble scanning negative emulsions and that Trident does a better job. Are these false issues and sanner operator related, or is Trident a better software to use for certain situations and Silverfast better for other situations? Any and all info on the software options available and what to expect from them is greatly appreciated.

2) If using an old Mac-station with the Trident software, how can one scan at 4000dpi with sheet film, or even 120 film if the Mac station does not have the amount of ram that these large files use? Perhaps a different question would be if there is a way to get large files using a system that does not have much ram. An example would be achieving a 4-7gb file from the scan. I know little about the way computers work and handle ram, but logic tells me one needs 4-7gb's of ram to handle this file size. I prefer to work with my regular PC that is loaded with a 64bit OS, quad core cpu, 8GB of ram, and 1TB of HD space, but I am obviously willing to setup an older Mac Station or have a dual boot OS on my PC to run both Trident and Silverfast (see question #1 that relates a good deal to this question #2).

3) With regards to comparisons-At what size print will one be able to see the difference in a proper scan from the Howtek 4500 with 35mm and 120 film compared to the Nikon 9000 or the Imacons?
    With sheet film, at what print size will one be able to see a difference between the Howtek 4500 and a flatbed scanner from Epson/Microtek/etc.?
    Thank You to all that can help with these questions.
    Free download clash of clan mod apk
    How do I replace a lamp for the "Original Style" 2500 Transparency Arm?
    Remove the Trans Arm from the scanner.
    On the large end of the Transparency Arm, remove the 4 screws (2 large and 2 small) that hold on the plastic end cover.
    Unplug the Black (outside) and White (inside) wires.
    With a .05" Allen key, loosen the setscrew holding the Fiber Optic cable in place and unplug it. Be careful when removing the large end of the fiber optic cable, some Trans-arms have a small round filter at the end of the cable. Do not lose the filter.
    Remove the 2 Phillips head screws from the far end of the Trans Arm.
    Partially slide the lamp holder out the small end of the arm, only slide it out far enough to remove the bulb.
    Caution: Do Not Slide The Lamp Holder all the way out.
    Replace the bulb.
    Slide the Lamp Holder back into the Trans Arm.
    You may need to guide the ends of the wires down the Trans Arm; they tend to catch on the inside of the housing.
    Plug the cables in and tighten the setscrew on the Fiber Optics cable.
    First, replace the filter if your trans arm has one.
    Replace all 6 screws.

Hi Dean,
    Sorry for delivering the bad news but you are about to enter a world of pain and frustration.
    This is the same issues I have experienced with Silverfast on my 4500 and I have never received or found any solution other than drop the resolution so low on 10x8 film it gives no advantage over 5x4.
    On the up side you need to subscribe to the High End Drum Scanner group on Yahoo and revel in my misery trying to solve the problem. 78 posts later on the thread I still don't have a remedy even though having some most excellent guidance and support from the chaps on there. My first post on the thread is below:

Having had my trusty, but unloved, Mac die on me I had to make the change from Aurora to Silverfast with XP.
    Whilst Silverfast appears more modern it does seem to to struggle more with larger files from 10x8 sheets.
    For example, today I had to make six scans of the same colour transparency before I ended up getting a successful result.
    To keep the file size below 2gb at 4000dpi i dragged a window over a selected area which gave 1789mb and ran a scan but this got to around 50% complete and failed. This happened a couple of times.
    When it did complete a scan it had chopped off the bottom of the image.
    I kept the same window and dropped the resolution down to 2000dpi (447mb) to see if it made things more reliable. It didn't. This time the left hand side of the image had horizontal banding lines from top to bottom
    Finally got a scan completed at 2000dpi but by this time there was more bubbles on the film than in my bath at bath time!
    Thoughts on the problem and remedies, be it Silverfast, the scanner or SCSI, would be very much appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error message.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	196601

Just learned that Yahoo are closing their "Groups" so the High-End scan group will be shut down in the next 2 days.
    Hopefully it will be migrating to a different platform

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Just learned that Yahoo are closing their "Groups" so the High-End scan group will be shut down in the next 2 days.
    Hopefully it will be migrating to a different platform
    Someone already opened a groups.io account for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
    Another Mirror Lamp Error 719.
    Lamp is good, I changed it not so far.
    How can I repair this?
    This scanner is getting me crazy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey Lamp error..
    have you got any solution..
    I also need a solution..

Quote Originally Posted by kimonlope View Post
    Hey Lamp error..
    have you got any solution..
    I also need a solution..
    Hey Kimonlope,

Change lamp and try. It will work If still wont work.
    then PM Me..

Cheers..!
    Last edited by Justin39; 15-Oct-2023 at 00:56. Reason: spello