Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black coating on 665 pack P/N, what a mess!

Black coating on 665 pack P/N, what a mess!

Howdy,

I am a newbie to Polaroid pack 665 (thanks to all for your previous help on load ing it!) --- have now shot a few packs of it and cannot figure out the safest wa y to get the black backing off. It comes off in the water bath, but in many smal l globs which get all over my hands and everything else, ruining the water bath for the next shot. The pictorial instructions on the Polaroid website show it c oming off nicely in a big blob, but even when I get that to happen (rarely), it soils my hands. I am working with this on the street and can't wash my hands. Mo ist towelettes, etc, are not good enough -- this is a real mess. Invariably som e negs get scratched as I fumble about. Yuck! Thanks for any advice.

Sandy:

I periodically use Type 55 P/N film in the field to produce quick negatives and avoid darkroom fatigue. My practice has always been to remove the film packet without processing and return home to treat and wash the film negative. Is there a reason you need to process the film in the field? Does your Polaroid holder allow you to release the film packet without processing? Alternatively, have you tried using a dedicated accesssory tank which separates each negative?

Hi Dave, I wish it worked like the Type 55, but unfortunately you do have to process it right away. When you pull out the film it starts the gel developer. I'm using a 6x9 Arca-Swiss camera so I can't use Type 55. Yes, I should find a better water tank to keep the negs separated from each other, but I think I'd still get gunk on my hands. I just wonder if this is how it's supposed to be --- is anyone able to get this backing off in one piece consistently? Cheers, Sandy

Sandy Do you mean the sticky gunk that covers one side of the neg. If so a solution of Sodium Sulphite will do theh job. I think Polaroid recommend a 12 or 18% solution but in my experience a few table spoons per litre does the trick. Too strong and it's quick, too weak and it takes longer. Plain water will work apparently but not until you've scratched the neg good and proper. Type 665 is not the greatest stuff for working on location with...Type 55 is easier but on your 6x9 Arca you don't have the choice. You've got to want those wobbly edges and tonal range to be bothered with this stuff.

Hi Sandy,

To remove the backing off the T-665 negative, after clearing the negative in a 18% solution of sodium sulfite, place the negative in a running water bath to wash it, in a few minuits the antihalation backing will start to bubble, over the entire surface,gently rub one corner to start it and you can gently peel it off the negative.

Bill

Yes, Matt, I do want the wobbly edges and uneven areas and beautiful tonal range of the negative. I barely look at the positive. The backing I speak of is only on the 665 pack film, you Type 55 users don't have to contend with this tar-like layer. Bill, your method would be great but I have no running water in the field (street). I guess my question now is, is it OK to leave the black layer on as it soaks in water for an hour or two before I can get back to the motel? At least that way it wouldn't get on my hands. I was also hoping to get away with using water only, no sodium sulfite, at least until I get back to the motel. But I guess I can carry a jug of the SS in the car.

Sandy, I use both the 55 and 665 for proofing in our studio & on location...although I really prefer the type 55. You can hold the 665 in water for a short while, I really don't know how long is "too long"....but I'd think you'd be okay for a couple of hours at the least. Just don't touch it a whole lot while you're holding it that way, and make sure you eventually do get it into the sodium sulfite bath to clear. I've always had to work the goop off the film in clearing as well, gently with my fingers...I usually try to wear some disposable gloves for this because the sulfite likes to get everywhere....it's like fix, when it dries it turns up in the weirdest places....you could get an old plastic film tank (like a Yankee) or the polaroid bucket to hold the sheets in as well. I know they don't recommend it, but I have used just regular old Permawash to clear the film when I was in a hurry as well....I can't vouch for it's longevity, but we really don't make "permanent" negs on the stuff anyways.

Sandy, why not get a tupperware container with a sealable lid and just drop the film there and take the backing off at home? Provided the container does not leak, I would just use water and transfer them to a sodium sulfite solution when I got back home.

I confirm Gasteazoro method. Try it !

I have 2 brand-new Tupperwares that I've been using for soaking the film, and they both leak! Guess I should try the Tupperware Forum... Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep practicing. Cheers.