Thread: Opening Mac made PS images in PC?

Opening Mac made PS images in PC?

Friends, My main rig is a Dell desktop with Photoshop CS2. I recently bought a used Eversmart Pro II scanner. This necessitated getting a Mac box with classic OS 9 to run the scanner software. The problem I have is opening the TIFF images in the Dell that were made on the Mac. I have been saving the TIFF images on an external drive. When I try to open them in PC CS2, I get a "not the right kind of file" error. So I was thinking that I could get a cheap version of Photoshop 6 that is Mac compatible. I could save the Mac TIFF images to the Mac, then open them in Photoshop 6 on the Mac, and once that is done and they have a Photoshop "signature," I could save them to the external for opening with the CS2 on the Dell. So can a PC based Photoshop open a TIFF image that is a Photoshop image made on a Mac. Probably should just get a Mac to do the whole damn thing, but would want to get CS4 which, as I understand it, is not fully deployed with a Mac. Thanks.

Re: Opening Mac made PS images in PC?

You usually get this type of error when the files you are trying to open do not have an extension. Mac OS, especially OS9. does not rely on extension and many programs do not add it by default. In your case, they should all end with .tif, for the system (and Photoshop along the way) to recognize them.

Mac OS, especially OS9. does not rely on extension and many programs do not add it by default. Another common problem with transferring otherwise perfectly compatible files occurs when they are sent as email attachments from a Mac to a PC. Since Mac OS saves the file information along with the file, that information gets stripped along the way and the file comes off as unreadable by the PC. This is easily prevented by zipping the file prior to sending.

On the other note, the only difference between the Mac and Win versions of CS4 will be the ability to use the 64-bit mode. Otherwise, they should be identical.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

On the other note, the only difference between the Mac and Win versions of CS4 will be the ability to use the 64-bit mode. Otherwise, they should be identical.
    There will be some Mac specific features in CS4. I can't recall those right at the moment but they are minor differences.

Don Bryant

Can you save your TIFF file for PC with your Mac? I can with mine. I happen to scan with Mac and use Windows version of CS3 to maipulate the file and print with Qimage which requires Windows and all of this on my MacBook Pro.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

As stated above, it is important to save the Tif file as a "PC compatible" file, which is an option in the window that pops up when you "save as" in Photoshop. Also, if you are using an external CD burner, be sure you are burning "PC compatible" CD's, which is an option within the CD burning software.