Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a scale

looking for a scale

In anticipation of the new Lodima paper, I'm trying to get set up for mixing my own chemicals. I'm assuming a scale that reads 1 to 3000 grams in 1 gram increments would suffice- any opinions? The scales that read finer than 1 gram seem alot more expensive. I can't seem to find a cheap one (less than $70) that you can calibrate with the calibration weights. Also, the one site I looked at for scales had calibration weights and they were pretty expensive for a set, but it got me thinking- why would I need a set and not just a single weight? Would it be for a scale being out of calibration in a non-linear fashion, and is this common?

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: looking for a scale

I recently got a digital scale that reads .1 gms and came with a weight for about $15. But it only goes to 500gms.

Look for a digital scale at a shop which sales reloading supplies. I have one I have used for reloading ammo and it works fine for photography chemicals. Jon

Abuser of God's Sunlight

check out oldwillknot.com ... strange name but some of the best deals on scales online.

the Myweigh scales are a great value. The one I use in my kitchen puts my darkroom Acculab scale to shame.

My wife has a nice one in the kitchen. Digital. English & Metric. Does automatic tare for the container. Reads at least to 6.4 lbs. I know. I weighed my tripod and head. I'm sure she bought it at a kitchen store.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Don Nelson

My local Chemist Friend, Kirk Keyes, recommended to me that I acquire chemical scales off ebay -- look under "GEM SCALES". Very accurate and very cheap (price). he's got two - different max capacity and precision. He uses them for making emulsions - which are far more critical in measuring than Lodima paper developer,etc, so they should work for you.

there's at least one at 0.1x2000g there now amidst the roughly 300. Don't know if 3000 capacity, but you can look.

YMMV but the price of around $10-15.oo for a precision instrument is quite appealing.

Beats the other chemical scales I have in the darkroom for price/performance

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    My local Chemist Friend, Kirk Keyes, recommended to me that I acquire chemical scales off ebay -- look under "GEM SCALES". Very accurate and very cheap (price). he's got two - different max capacity and precision. He uses them for making emulsions - which are far more critical in measuring than Lodima paper developer,etc, so they should work for you.

there's at least one at 0.1x2000g there now amidst the roughly 300. Don't know if 3000 capacity, but you can look.

YMMV but the price of around $10-15.oo for a precision instrument is quite appealing.

Beats the other chemical scales I have in the darkroom for price/performance
    Wow, great tip Don!

Don Bryant

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    check out oldwillknot.com ... strange name but some of the best deals on scales online.

the Myweigh scales are a great value. The one I use in my kitchen puts my darkroom Acculab scale to shame.
    I have one of these too. I have used it to mix my own chemicals with no problems. Measures to .1g. Very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    My wife has a nice one in the kitchen. Digital. English & Metric. Does automatic tare for the container. Reads at least to 6.4 lbs. I know. I weighed my tripod and head. I'm sure she bought it at a kitchen store.
    I believe I have the same scale, appropriately called "Escali". Use is utter simplicity. Good to a single gram. Tare feature means very fast to measure out multiple ingrediants.

C

I can't see why you would need 1 gram resolution at quantities of 3000 grams

I use a small kitchen type scale that does 0.1 gram increments for amidol paper developer.

For things like measuring out hypo fixer I use a coarse "postal" type scale as you don't need be very accurate in that case.