Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any 3-way heads that can take an arca style QR clamp?

Are there any 3-way heads that can take an arca style QR clamp?

After a long time using ballheads, I was thinking of going back to a good quality pan/tilt head. But looking around it seems that all of the innovation in high quality lightweight heads over the last decade has occured in the ball head arena. Are there any good, relatively light pan/tilt heads that I am missing. I am invested in the arca style clamp release system, though, and find them superior to the Manfrotto alternatives, so a new head would have to accept an arca clamp. I can't think of a reason why this would be difficult but can't find any heads that match my requirements. Suggestions would be welcome.

Re: Are there any 3-way heads that can take an arca style QR clamp?

Arca makes the B2 (now called the Z2). It is a pan-tilt head but looks like a ball head. Strong, but a little heavy.

Locktite (or have a machine shop get medieval on...) a clamp onto the head of your choice.

It does seem strange that nobody has made a really good 3-way with an integrated Arca-clamp.

FWIW, the compact Linhof 3-way head I used to have was the best tripod head ever, for up to a moderate sized 4x5 or light 5x7.

I think quick release systems are a waste of time but that's just my two-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think quick release systems are a waste of time but that's just my two-cents.
    Just curious, Frank, but for non-studio use, how do you get the camera on and off the tripod? Screwing it on tight every time seems a very tedious proposition.

-A

You can buy an Arca Quick release that has either 3/8 or 1/4 inch threads on the bottom. Then you can just mount it on any tripod or head with the proper thread. BH and they come up on ebay from time to time.

Its what I did for my throw around tripod I keep in my trunk. Cheaper than buying another ball head.

Blumine

Blumine, that would have solved the problem, but for some reason I can't find a head with a solid 3/8 stud - only measly 1/4-20 on top of cork covered platforms. Neither the most stable nor the most ergonomic solution.

Remove the cork in some cases...

There has been quite a discussion before where some machinists and metallurgists chimed in and explained that a 1/4-20 screw will hold as well or even better than the 3/8-16 screws for anything up to an ULF camera...

I found the Linhof and Sinar tripod screws on those heads to be just fine, they are a pleasure actually, nice and large and easy to grasp. Even the Gitzo screws aren't bad. With a flat base camera I rather look at the tripod head and see that the screw is in solid than to trust two more extra connections needed for the plate. I'll give it up that the formed Arca-plates that conform to a DSLR body are very secure, but unless you add some keystone-type pins to your flat view camera base, the Arca plate system is just an added expense.

One of the best tripod/camera connections is an Arca clamp and the long, full length Arca-Swiss rail base. You can slide it along to balance the camera anywhere. Of course you need to have an Arca-Swiss camera....

One of the best tripod/camera connections is an Arca clamp and the long, full length Arca-Swiss rail base. You can slide it along to balance the camera anywhere. Of course you need to have an Arca-Swiss camera....
    You can also just get a long Arca plate to fit onto any camera and then do the same thing. I have two "abutting" 3 inch arca plates on the bottom of my 8x10 Chamonix - it forms one long 6 inch plate along which you can slide the camera for balance - works a treat. I think Kirk Photo makes an eight inch plate which would be even better, but I happened to have these two plates handy...

wfwhitaker

...One of the best tripod/camera connections is an Arca clamp and the long, full length Arca-Swiss rail base. You can slide it along to balance the camera anywhere. Of course you need to have an Arca-Swiss camera....
    Or use a Multi-Purpose Rail (MPR) from Really Right Stuff. I have the 6" one under my 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 for just that purpose and it works well. I'm using my Arca head for now, but really don't care for ball heads and view cameras. Acratech has introduced their Long Lens Head which is a pan/tilt head and looks interesting.

http://acratech.net/product.php?prod...0&cat=1&page=1

That looks great... it would even make me go back to plates ;-)

Also it is nice to see something original coming out from all those companies that piggybacked on Arca.