Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LF in the movies

LF in the movies

Are there any movies that feature LF photography - especially period movies? I seem to remember a Chinese movie which dealt with the first introduction of photography in China, but can't remember the name. As I read more about early photography I am led to wonder if cinema has ever tackled any part of that history. Documentaries would be interesting suggestions too, but I am really thinking of movies here.

-A

Re: LF in the movies

The only one I can think of is Road to Perdition. Jude Law portrays a press photographer in the late 1930s who specializes in shooting dead bodies. As a side hobby, he kills many of them himself.
    -Chris

One that I posted about recently elsewhere is the new documentary Man on Wire about Phillipe Petit's 1974 tightrope walk between the towers of the World Trade Center. His collaborator, photographer Jean-Louis Blondeau, is interviewed with a 4x5" Sinar P on a heavy studio stand in the background. He doesn't actually use the camera in the film, but it's an interesting choice on the director's part.

While in Chicago one summer, for a little while I was a consultant on a movie TILL THE END OF TIME about Steiglitz and O'Keefe ( Ben Kingsley & Linda Fiorentino). They wanted everything Steiglitz used and did to be authentic and I was to insure that happened. I spent some time collecting equipment and a little time working with Kingsley "in character". Unfortunately, before we got to the scenes where Steiglitz photographed O'Keefe and I had a real role to play, Fiorentino quit the film and the whole production unraveled and the film was scrapped.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 16-Sep-2008 at 20:54.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Pretty Baby?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Zebra

The Grey Fox with Richard Farnsworth.

Really well done with a turn of the century studio prominently featured as the love interest of Farnsworth is a photographer.

"Miss Golightly! I must protest!" - the photographer Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's has a 20X24 view camera in his downstairs studio. LFP isn't really featured here, but plays a cameo role.

Probably of greater interest to you is an episode of the TV show Kung Fu called The Vanishing Image. The hour-long show features a view camera landscape photographer who is struggling to survive the toxicants of his craft as he dedicates his final days to capturing the American west on film.
    Last edited by Eric James; 16-Sep-2008 at 20:37. Reason: Have a nice day.

Hopelessly Lost

I know there is an old Charlie Chaplin film where there is two instances of LF shooting.

The first is where Chaplin keeps walking in front of a photographer at an auto race and hilarity ensues.

The second is where some one rolls their car (sounds familiar) and a press photographer is on scene shooting with what looks like a premo pony.

It was on at the bar I was frequenting for awhile.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

multiplex

photographing fairies