Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: selling images though agencies

Re: selling images though agencies

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    > know nothing about stock agencies

Then instead of getting "Photographer's Market" that won't help you much, read on-line
    Dan Heller's book and blog (one link up from the one I posted).
    The Photographer's market" will tell you what agency (you can choose among 100's of them) demands what specifically, what is the agency specialization, the percentage taken by the photographer and many other details incl. the address etc. etc. It is specifically directed to photographers that are looking for their market (hence the title). If that "won't help you much" ask all these details about 100's of agencies QT Luong - he's got a better idea I've been in the stock agencies business for the last 20 years or so

White (unlike Dan Heller, see blog) I think that PM can be useful, its contents (at least in the edition that I have) doesn't do much to answer the OP's questions. Moreover, I submit that before researching and submitting to agencies, it is indispensable to have a minimum of understanding about how this business works, which Dan Heller's book provide, and PM doesn't. Last, I'll remark that if I had relied on PM, I wouldn't probably be making a good living today from stock sales, with sales increasing for the straight 8th year in a market that many describe as challenging.

QTLuong, the OP in fact did not ask many questions and the PM answers the one about copyrights, at least indirectly if he contacts the agencies in question. When it comes to your experience I don't understand how PM could impede your "good living" from stock sales... Could you elaborate on that obscure point?
    I, on the other hand, started with a copy of PM some 20 years ago (don't even remember). Today, I'm a member of prestigious Photo agencies and thankful to those agencies that positively answered to my submissions based on the info from - the PM.

GPS, for the type of photography that I do, I just don't think it would have worked to submit material to stock agencies, which is what you do using PM. It's great for you that you got in early, because it's not something you have to worry about, but I am sure you are aware that the stock photography business has changed a lot in the last 20 (or even 5) years.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    It's great for you that you got in early, because it's not something you have to worry about, but I am sure you are aware that the stock photography business has changed a lot in the last 20 (or even 5) years.
    It surely has changed - at least something we agree about

So GPS, how are you doing in the stock market?

Which smaller-than-Getty agencies are doing a good business?

And... in hindsight, do you wish you set yourself up to sell directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    So GPS, how are you doing in the stock market?

Which smaller-than-Getty agencies are doing a good business?

And... in hindsight, do you wish you set yourself up to sell directly?
    Frank,
    I'm not dependent financially on my sales (I even limited my output to do other photography than the stock) so it goes well. I'm in a bigger agency now (beside the other ones, thanks to a sale on the agencies market - the smaller ones die now, as you know) and it's better for me, no complaints.
    The more specialized agencies have their own niche, and there are still those that have a good position in their own fields. Getty cannot be omnipresent. But the market is rough, no doubt.
    And no, I don't sell directly - I hate the work around it, that's why I use agencies. It works for me.