Thread: Bisti in Early November - Weather & Safety

Bisti in Early November - Weather & Safety

I am planning a 10-day photo shoot in early November, which includes 3-5 days in the Bisti Badlands. I've learned much from the many posts in this forum, but have two specific questions that weren't answered. First, I'd be grateful for some idea of what the weather will be like there in early November (cold, rainy, windy, LOVELY, etc). Second, I am considering camping there (possibly in my car) and would be grateful for any thoughts on personal safety in doing that, as opposed to driving the 40 minutes each way to Farmington. Many thanks.

Re: Bisti in Early November - Weather & Safety

The Bisti is at a relatively high elevation and in the desert. The nights will be cold even if the days are mild, and its hard to predict November that far in advance in terms of snow. Many Novembers are very dry. The ski season oftentimes gets a late start here. But not always!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'd opt for camping. Chaco Canyon about 30 miles away gets pretty nippy but nothing beats being there. The money you'll save on fuel could easily go towards a good sleeping bag and/or tent. A halfway decent tent with a good bag would be much warmer than inside vehicle.

What Bruce said. Add a good insulating sleeping pad. Maybe two if you are sleeping near the car. Good insulation UNDER a good bag is downright decadent!

Extrapolating from trips to nearby higher elevations in October, I would guesstimate 20°F-30°F early morning lows and 50s to 70s for a high in the afternoon. One thing about out west: If the sun's shining, you warm up fast. T-shirt & shorts. Go into the shade and reach for the down vest. It's all good! Have a great trip.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

November is a great time to explore the Bisti. It'll be a bit cool at night, but should stay above freezing, and the days will be pleasent, with nice long autumnal shadows. You'll also have a pretty good chance of getting nice atmospherics in the form of layer upon layer of fluffy cauliflower clouds.

There's really not a whole lot in that area- the nearest population center is Farmington, about 30 miles north. There's a few small settlements, but not to much in the way of supplies are available. I used to just camp adjacent to the parking lot, so that I could be out photographing at first light. I never had a problem with safety, and, apart from the coyotes, I was frequently the only one in the place on some of my weekend trips there. Just bring plenty of water, sunblock, and food and you'll be fine. I went to the Bisti every few months for a period of about four years, and did notice that it was getting more and more crowded, as it got increasingly discovered. Let's hope it doesn't become yet another southwestern landscape site that is overrun with tourists.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Thank you, so much, to all who have replied so far. Although I've shot often in New Mexico in Oct and Nov, it has almost always been South of Albuquerque. Your suggestions and ideas have been extremely helpful to me as I finalize my plans. Also Brian, lovely image--rich colors, great DOF and it helps me see how extraodinary this place is. Thank you for posting it.
    I wish all of you good light, always. Barbara

Barbara,

The big problem with Bisti is lack of a toilet or water supply facility unless they have added one recently.

It is just a parking area and walk-through gate, no ranger or visitor amenity whatsoever.

The first rock formations are about a twenty minute hike along a relative featureless terrain. I would recommend visiting in the afternoon for your first time to get your visual bearings.

I believe it is relatively safe to sleep there since it is a few miles off the main road.

Weather should/could be quite cold at night to warm and dry mid-day. Current weather is 70/44 this week. I live about 70 miles north in so. Colorado.

best regards,