Thread: 11x14 Backpack Discovery!!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

11x14 Backpack Discovery!!

I just finished building my 11x14 a while ago and I needed to find a way to carry it. I have been using a rolling tool bag that I got from Harbor Freight and it works OK but I love to get off trail.
    I have an extra large Kelty external frame backpack that I was going to use for my 8x10 system and I decided to go with my newer REI pack. The Kelty was sitting idle. This morning I was taking it apart when I discovered that I could take out the "U" shaped frame piece at the top of the bag and it would expand much more (DUH!!)
    My entire 11x14 system fits. Camera, 2 holders and darkcloth in the main compartment and 5 lenses and the rest of the stuff in the outside pockets. I still have a little room left. I think it weights about 40-45 lbs. but feels OK on my back. Yes I know that after a mile or so it could be a different story.
    If anyone has an 11x14 and is looking for a cheap way to carry it try an XL Kelty external frame pack. If you want some pictures added to this post let me know.
    I'm headed to the Redwoods in October and now my 8x10,11x14 and 8x20 all have backpacks! I'm so stoked!!

Jim

Re: 11x14 Backpack Discovery!!

I would love to see some pictures, particularly of the 8x10 setup. It sounds like you have it figured out pretty well.
    -Chris

Now get out the Jim and break a leg!

Jim, how much does the Kelty pack weigh?
    and what do you use for padding?

...and what are your camera dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Now get out the Jim and break a leg!
    That's funny. We were shooting in owens valley a few weeks ago and he did just that. A few clamps made it operational again, though.

Drew Wiley

I used a Kelty external frame pack for over twenty years with a Sinar. The current
    imported Kelty packs are far inferior in quality to the older dosmestic ones, so I'd recommend buying extra shoulder straps and plenty of extra clevis pins,rings,etc.
    Straps can break at the worst conceivable moment! I bought the last of a couple of
    different brand external frame packs just before the quality nose-dived, and hope these will last. I made a polycarbonate clamshell insert which slides into the top
    compartment of the pack, containing my Phillips 8x10 and filmholders. Lenses, meter,
    filters, etc. fit in the side compartments.

Well, sorry it took so long to respond to this post but just got back from 12 days of shooting.
    The Kelty works, just barely. I had to perform some field surgery to get it in and out. It just fits in the XL Kelty pack. I have room for 4 lenses, packard shutter and the usual stuff. I put the film holders in a bag and tied it to the back and secured it with a bungie cord. The system weights about 45 lbs. My camera is about 17 1/2" square and is 16 lbs.
    I found two manufactures of packs to fit the 11x14 but neither of them would sell me one! Both of them were flakes! Imagine that. A guy with cash wanting to buy your product and you don't even bother to get back to him. Business must be great to turn down a sale.

Jim

Jim, were did you go and what did you do there? Did you camp or walk far with the pack? It sounds like you didn't get hurt this time, good going.

I actually hiked with both the 8x20 and the 11x14 in the Redwoods of Northern California. The Kelty pack is to big for my small frame but it worked quite well once I got it adjusted which took a while. This was the first outing with the 11x14 and pack. Most of the hiking was on level ground and I did ok. Longest treks were no more than about a mile.
    I have the 8x20 in a REI Mars backpack that is great. Again I needed to do some field adjustments to the harness to get it set up right and then everything was okay. Went about a mile or so with this system and everything went well.
    The second part of my trip was in Yosemite and at altitude I hiked about 1/2 a mile with each system with no problem. I am still looking for a better system for the 11x14 as the Kelty was a last resort that was call into duty for the trip.

Jim