Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY tools for lensboards, general wood working

DIY tools for lensboards, general wood working

I'm looking into some DIY photo projects and need to invest in some wood working tools. Right now I'm going to be making some lens boards (wood) and housing for a packard shutter. Recommendations of what tools everyone is using would be great. I don't have a large space to store or work with the tools so I need to keep that in mind.
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan

Re: DIY tools for lensboards, general wood working

I was pretty much in the same boat and I started off with a Ryobi 10" table saw. It's pretty good for $100, but I did upgrade to a high quality Diablo 80T blade based on recommendations from woodworkers on APUG. So for $150 I was off and running and have been making my own lensboards and cutting down wood for other projects.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00003+10401007

Smile Re: DIY tools for lensboards, general wood working

When I started to make lens boards I just used some 1/8" thick board i got from Lowes ( they sell it in small sheets like 2'X2' ) then I used a T square and a razor nife to cut the board. Later I used a cordless drill and hole saw blades to cut the openning for the lens.

This worked very well for me but then i now use a table saw so I can cut many blanks at one time.

Table saw. Adjustable drill bit from Irwin. Will do copal 0 and 1 sized holes. Router. The router makes very smooth light baffles on lens boards and cuts the recessed areas around the hole in the board for copal 3 shutters or in boards that are too thick.

theres lots of options availible.
    One of each from 3 catagories

You need something to cut the board.
    Table saw
    Mitre saw
    Hand saw
    utility knife and straight edge (for 1/8" plywood)

You need something to cut the hole
    Drill
    drill-press
    rotary tool

You need something to trim
    sand-paper
    palm sander
    round-file
    sanding block
    rotary tool

OK, construction of the lensboard can be one of 3 types:

(to be continued)

The router is the essential for me. That is what really gives a professional look. It is the best tool if you are to make sliding lens boards for old wood cameras. It allows also making holes in any size and joining wood boards one transversal to the other. WL

thanks for all the input....keep all the suggestions coming. Would you say the rotary tool and table saw would be a good way to start off. I don't have that much money to sink into this but really want to start.
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan

Have you used these tools before? If not, a basic woodworking course through a local school would be in order. These power tools are easy to form bad habits on, and are pretty unforgiving...

Most of the basic woodworking ancillary to LF can easily be done with relatively inexpensive hand tools. A good hand saw, a good square, a good marking knife, and a couple of files will handle much of what you need to do.

That said, a good table saw, a drill press, and a router (ideally mounted in a router table, so it's more like a shaper) certainly come in handy. Having a good workbench to which things can be clamped securely is also a big advantage. The Black & Decker WorkMates would be good to consider in that respect in your space-limited situation.

For some operations, great precision isn't really required. Lens holes, for example, don't need to be perfect. Joints on shutter housings and such, however, require greater precision. That's where good tools and good technique will come into account. A cheap table saw, for example, might have enough play in the blade assembly that precisely square cuts may be impossible on a consistent basis. Most power tools, like table saws, also need to be "tuned" (adjusted) prior to serious use.

One should, of course, be aware of the fact that most power tools, table saws and routers in particular, are very unforgiving. It's quite easy to loose essential body parts in less than a blink of the eye if one doesn't pay attention and follow safety guidelines. That's mostly common sense, but still requires focus.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

decent tools, not the best, but reasonable prices, great for less used tools