Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilex Photoplastic soft focus lens?

Ilex Photoplastic soft focus lens?

I've been researching the photoplastic 4.5 but have had very little luck finding any information. Is it a variable diffusion lens and has anyone used one?

Thanks!

Re: Ilex Photoplastic soft focus lens?

I've got a 16" version but haven't got around to testing it out yet.

I own the 10 1/2 inch version in a #5 shutter. When new they were offered with 3 different rear element groups, each one producing a different level of softness. The level of softness is controlled by f-stop, soft wide open and sharpening gradually as you close down the aperture. I find it a lovely lens, as nice or nicer than my pinkham. Wide open the out of focus areas are truly beautiful. Huge coverage, my 10 1/2 covers 8x10 at infinity with full movements.

lecarp, I appreciate the info. I found one on the auction site in 9-9.5 condition in a properly working universal shutter for $298. It's nearly new condition 10.5 in. and has the extreme soft back element. Thought it might be a fun lens and not a bad price for that condition.

Thanks!

lecarp,

To which P&S are you comparing the Ilex? I think that each model had its own character (and maybe variations within each version since they were hand-ground) and I'm just curious which one you are comparing.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, First let me say, I love the Pinkham and have no complaints. The one advantage of the Photoplastic is a wider range of softness, the lens sharpens more slowly as it is stopped down.
    My Pinkham is the 14 inch series IV. It was coated and re-lacquered by the Burke and James Lens Bank.

Hopelessly Lost

can we see an example of the photoplastic wide open???
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    can we see an example of the photoplastic wide open???
    I would love to see a few examples. Which back element do you have? Extreme soft or what?

This shot was not taken with an Illex photoplastic, but by its brother, i.e., an Illex Portrait 15.5 inch f5 lens in a #5 Illex shutter. The shot was taken with out of date Kodak Pro100 negative 8x10 film and scanned by my local media specialities shop. The shot was taken at f8 and 1/2 second exposure. I would have preferred to set up for a closer shot, but this one does show how this lens will certainly create the diffussion outside the center of focus.

I hope to try it out more and compare it with my 15.5 inch Wollensak Velostigmat Series II with a diffuser ring in a studio shutter (just got the studio shutter working tonite...yeah!) and a 14.5 inch Verito f4 also in a studio shutter.

Thanks for posting the image. Very interesting DOF. When My photoplastic extreme soft arrives I'll post a couple of images at first opportunity. The curved DOF reminds me of a recently acquired petzval. No swirls but that curved DOF.