Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head Question

Smile Re: Head Question

The Cube is no match for the Gandolfi, if ever it crossed your mind
    Excuse my ignorance, Christopher but what do you mean by Cube - my Ball Head?

I'm not sure which RRS head you have and how strong it is, but there are plenty of ballheads out there that are strong enough to support an 8x10 Gandolfi without "catastrophic" results
    I have a BH55 Pro which if i don't keep tight (on the friction knob and the main lock knob) will flop over even with just by RB 67 on it...so i guess i am sceptical.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will look at the various options.

Great picture of the Gandolfi, Christopher - i am looking forward to getting mine even more now...a thing of beauty.....

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: Head Question

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Re the Arca B2. Don't you lose your horizontal the moment you release the knob?
    No, the ARCA-SWISS B2 is a true 3-axis head with separate knobs for each axis.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

"The Cube" is a very expensive, very precise 3-axis micro-geared head made by Arca-Swiss.

I guess he is saying that it isn't beefy enough for your camera.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by 747sp View Post
    I have a BH55 Pro which if i don't keep tight (on the friction knob and the main lock knob) will flop over even with just by RB 67 on it...so i guess i am sceptical.
    I haven't used any of the Really Right Stuff ballheads. So, I can't comment on the BH55. But, on the high end ballheads I've used, they have a "sweet spot" that, with the tension preset properly adjusted, permit movement, but hold the camera in position when released.

In the example I mentioned earlier, with the tension preset adjusted to maximum, I can grab the back my 7x17 on both sides, point it where I wish. Then, when I release my grip on the camera, it stays put until I tighten the locking knob.

I haven't used the Markins M10 with my 7x17, but I have used it with my 4x5/4x10 ARCA-SWISS and it also has a large "sweet spot" and works well with my 4x5/4x10 camera.

In addition to the weight of the camera, distribution of the weight is important. My 7x17 Franken-ARCA weighs about 13 lbs. A 7x17 film holder weighs about 2 lbs. and my 7x17 lenses weigh between 1.25 and 2 lbs. each. Since the base of the ARCA-SWISS extension rail mates with the quick release clamp on the B1, it is easy to slide the camera back and forth so that the weight is evenly distributed fore and aft (balanced load). This balanced load helps prevent the camera from flopping around when released with the locking knob loosened.

This is another reason I recommended using an ARCA-SWISS style quick release clamp with a long mounting plate on the base of your Gandolfi. It will help you balance the load. No matter what head you end up with, a balanced load will be more stable than an unbalanced one. This is why I prefer an open-ended quick release, like the ARCA-SWISS over a fixed cavity quick release clamp. With a fixed cavity clamp, it's not possible to re-position the camera to balance the load. I realize that not everyone likes to use a ballhead with a large format camera, especially a heavy 8x10, but most high end ballheads capable of supporting such loads come with an ARCA-SWISS compatible quick release clamp. You can also add an ARCA-SWISS style QR clamp to most 3-axis or geared heads. And, the ARC-SWISS B2 I like to use with my heavy cameras come with standard with such a clamp.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    "The Cube" is a very expensive, very precise 3-axis micro-geared head made by Arca-Swiss.
    I guess he is saying that it isn't beefy enough for your camera.
    Thanks Frank. Yes, the gears are too precise (puny) for the Gandolfi. I've tried it with the ArcaSwiss long mounting plate (screwed in two places under the camera). It balances ok but it puts a lot of strain on the gears. It's is worth more than most of my cameras and stares at me reproachfully when I pass it over for the Gitzo. (Ok, I use it weekdays with an inferior format.)

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by 747sp View Post
    I think you may have a problem with your ballhead.. I can lock my BH55 solid with just the tension release (holds an Ebony 45SU at full stretch and a Nikon 500 T*ED) although I tend to back it off a little from this point ;-)

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    No, the ARCA-SWISS B2 is a true 3-axis head with separate knobs for each axis.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    Just to explain how this works for Christopher, there are two nested balls in a B2, unlike every other ballhead. One ball is used for the horizontal axis, and one ball is for the fore-aft axis, and the balls are eccentric, so the tension increases as the tilt angle increases, so the camera isn't inclined to flop unless you set the overall tension really loose. This way, you get the control of a pan-tilt head, but the strength/weight ratio of a ballhead. The pan movement is also as smooth as a fluid head.

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Just to explain how this works for Christopher, there are two nested balls in a B2, unlike every other ballhead........
    David, Thanks. After reading this I had a better look at a photo of the B2 and saw the nested balls (which I did not notice before). It looks like a great solution.