Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwarmers

Dishwarmers

Hi

Does anyone know if a dishwarmer is adequate to maintain a constant temperature in a set of small dishes for developing B&W 5x4 film?

Many thanks
    Elliot

Re: Dishwarmers

In my experience, processing B&W film does not require extremely precise temperature control. Also, the processing temperatures that are normally recommended (68 deg F, or 20 deg C) are close enough to typical room temperatures that they essentially maintain themselves.

My approach is to mix each of the chemicals to about 20 deg C, and also set up a tray of plain water at that same temperature to use as a presoak. From that point, unless the temperature in the darkroom is unusually cold or hot, the temperature of the chemicals doesn't drift to any significant degree.

Thanks Louie - I forgot to mention that my darkroom is in a cold attic. In winter the temperature can be very low. It doesnt take long for the temperature to drift by several degrees so getting consistent results is a concern.

There are actually photographic hotplates. I have one from Kaiser that I really like. Unfortunately, I bought it as new old stock off Epay, and I haven't been able to find any more.

I've never worried for b&w.

In fact, I've used fairly cold tap water, straight out the tap without waiting for it to reach room temperature. Not seen a negative effect from this. The water was cool enough to be refreshing if I drank a glass (obviously without photo chems in it).

It is imperative that one maintain temprature control throughout the development process or you really do not "own" the process and are not in control. The results you get are hit and miss particularly if you have a heat sink in the winter or heat adder in the summer. Both conditions are unacceptable to repeatable results. As the size of the film gets larger and the price for this product increases, this variable becomes absolutely critical.

Warmers that are not designed for the photographic process in general are not satisfactory for this application because they are not capable of holding 5 degrees let along less than one degree.

Best solution is to acquire a used Wing Lynch or another computerized water temp controlled and run a water bath for your process. They are not that expensive and are an investment to quality results.

If it is worth doing - then do it right. If it is not worth doing right, why not take up painting with watercolors.....

Unless it's quite enclosed, a water bath will throw a lot of moisture into the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Unless it's quite enclosed, a water bath will throw a lot of moisture into the darkroom.
    No biggie. Turn on the darkroom fan and break out the dessicant. Think positively of all of the dust that will not be capable of affixing itself to your negatives.

Not sure here I read it but someone was using a fishtank warmer to keep the water in the tray at a constant 70 degrees. Which in turn should keep the chemicals in the range you are looking for. Try this link-
    http://www.fishtankshop.com/index.as...D&ProdID=10170
    semms like a simple way to get what you need.
    Arthur,nyc

Go to farmtek.com and see their pig warmer. I have used all these other things and this thing i twice better....EC