Thread: Troubles with a volute shutter

W K Longcor

Troubles with a volute shutter

Well, since finding this forum, I've been digging through cases of equipment. Have not "rebuilt" a darkroom as yet - so actual photography is not started. I am getting excited about using the wooden cameras and brass lenses that I used for years as dust collecting decor. Anyway, I have a B&L Protar VII in Volute shutter. The lens is a
    14 5/16" f/ 7 -- front element is 27 1/8" f/12.5 and rear is 23 1/4" f/ 12.5 -- the lens looks like it would be a lot of fun to use. The shutter is a problem. It seems to work well -- only about 10% of the time. About 90% of the time, it works on "T" . So, my question. Do I use it only on "T" for long exposures? Do I forget it all and use a Packard or my hat as a shutter? Or are these old clunkers "fixable" -- without mortgaging the house? If you think a simple cleaning will do -- I'm not afraid to tackle that on my own -- provided I am forewarned of possible flying springs and the like.

By the way -- I just tried something that may be of help to someone else. The volute has an aluminum body. There was an old brass flange attached. It was on tight and would NOT come off (No the threads were not crossed). I tried everything to get it off -- even a strap wrench and lots of "tug". Finally put it in the freezer ( without the lenses) after about 20 minutes the aluminum contracted faster than the brass ( I'm guessing) -- the flange spun off -- just finger tight.

Re: Troubles with a volute shutter

Suggest you contact Equinox camera site : Do not have the exact site name but I am told they repair those shutters: When they work tghey are great , But the way it goes :
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Those bigger sized Protar VII's are uncommon. That's well worth the repair. It would cover 11X14 very nicely. How bad is the balsam seperation?

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Those bigger sized Protar VII's are uncommon. That's well worth the repair. It would cover 11X14 very nicely. How bad is the balsam seperation?
    Jim - the front (27") cell is CLEAR -- minor dust only. The rear (23") has very minor balsam showing at very edges -- little over 1/16th inch of "yellow" showing around the outside.
    Nothing seems broken in the shutter - maybe just close to a century of filth inside. Having cleaned many a shutter before ( with success -- usually) I may attempt a cleaning myself. If that doesn't do the job, I'll check with Equinox and see what they say.
    What is the image quality of these Protars? Am I correct that when using just the "front" cells -- it should be attached BEHIND the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    Jim - the front (27") cell is CLEAR -- minor dust only. The rear (23") has very minor balsam showing at very edges -- little over 1/16th inch of "yellow" showing around the outside.
    Nothing seems broken in the shutter - maybe just close to a century of filth inside. Having cleaned many a shutter before ( with success -- usually) I may attempt a cleaning myself. If that doesn't do the job, I'll check with Equinox and see what they say.
    What is the image quality of these Protars? Am I correct that when using just the "front" cells -- it should be attached BEHIND the shutter?
    Image quality is every bit as nice as a classic Dagor. Yes, the front lens should be the longer of the 2 and it would go to the rear by itself. Looking at the lens with the 2 cylinders pointing down, the one on the right is the piston that does the timing. You might get away with just cleaning that. I usually don't, but you might

W K Longcor

Probably won't get to do anything - cleaning wise, for several days. I'll give it a try and report back. I've always been a BIG Dagor fan. If these are of similar quality, I look foreward to trying it out. The largest camera size I have available is 8x10 - so I guess I should have all the room for movements that I could possibly want!