Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom startup questions

Darkroom startup questions

For some reason, I've been thinking about having a go at film processing. Perhaps its the hour drive, twice, to the lab in town, or all the ads on Craigslist where everybody is selling out for cheap.

So, any advice? What not to buy. I have absolutely no Idea what I'm doing, or what I'm looking for. I have found that its easier for me to learn hands on, by screwing up a few (insert unknown number) times.

I would "like" to be able to do 35 120 and 4x5. From what I understand, I'll be sticking to b&w for a long while.

I have seen more than one, what they are describing as "complete darkroom" advertised for a couple of hundred dollars. Does that seem reasonable? This is just an "obsession" hobby, so I don't want to mortgage the farm.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Ewins

Re: Darkroom startup questions

I suggest you go to the library and get some books on Darkroom Techniques. Many will have alternate methods of processing both negatives and prints. Then look for equipment. Even if the equipment is "free" it will take time and money to find how to use it.

For processing film the Patterson tank and reels are pretty slick. I use one for 35mm, 127, and 120 formats. For 4x5 trays are the cheapest route, but you might consider a Unicolor Processor. With the correct drums you can process all your roll films plus 4x5, plus color enlargements and do it with the lights on. They come pretty cheap on ebay.
    For an enlarger I like the Omega D-2 (or D-II which is identical except for a "pushmepullyou" instead of the D-2 crank.) It will take up to 4x5 negatives.

The deal with enlargersrs is that each format requires different stuff in order to work. Getting all the accesories for a D-2 for your three formats can nickel and dime you into poverty unless you find an enlarger with everything you need included (unless of course, you enjoy the spirit of the hunt!)

I have found it cheaper to buy another enlarger rather than to buy all the accessories I'd need to use my 4x5 D-II for the all roll films I shoot.

If someone should happen to give you a D-2 (and don't be surprised if they do---people are dumping enlargers on Craig's List) that might be an option.

An important item is the enlarger lens. Stick with a known name like Schneider or Nikor or Rodenstock. Ideally one will come with your enlarger. Kodak and Wollensak made good enlarger lenses too, especially if you're into the vintage look.

I think a "complete darkroom" for a couple of hundred bucks is a deal if everything works, if all the accesories you need to cover your formats are included, and is of good quality. Chances are such stuff has sat around for a long time before being purged so give everything a good cleaning (everything! Running the condensers through your dishwasher isn't a bad idea!) Dust is death!

You'll also need an easel for printing, a timer, a focusing gizmo and stuff to mix chemicals, store chemistry, a safe light and some clothesline and clothespins to hang your stuff up to dry. You might even want to kick it up a notch and add a dry press and a print washer sometime down the road. This stuff is fun!

Which easel you choose depends on how big you want to print. I've used Ganz Speed Easels in the past. A pro I knew used a simple sheet of steel with some magnets! There are lots of options and you'll have to decide which will work best for you. I recommend taking a class at a local JC or adult school (I am self taught and a class would have helped me a lot!)

For chemicals (assuming you're doing B&W) D-76 and Dektol is a good place to start.

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Start reading up on processing, and when interesting items come up for sale, just post about it here or at APUG and you will likely get many good opinions on the equipment. You will want to wind up with equipment similar to what others on these forums have.

You will want to avoid 'weirdo' stuff that may turn out to be incomplete. Even if someone gives you the stuff, sometimes, if it is missing some tiny, unobtainable part, it is useless.

Some good names for darkroom equipment:
    Durst, Jobo, Saunders, Omega, Zone IV, Arkay, Patterson, Besseler, DeVere, Nova, for example.

Darkroom can be split into two parts:

Film Developing
    Printing

I do developing as and when, and almost anywhere, but printing I need a completely different setup.

For 35mm/120 look into Paterson-style tanks. They have reels that allow you to do 35mm OR 120. For 5x4 there are way more options. I use a Paterson Orbital.

The developing can be done by placing the film inside the tank in complete darkness (changing bag, or light-tight room). Then the developing can be done at a spare sink in the house.

Printing you need an enlarger, timer, trays, etc etc. I have two enlargers. One for 35mm/120, one for 5x4 (kinda like the developing tanks - one for small format, one for large format).

Look into whether you only want to develop the film (cheap and hardly any space taken up), or print your pictures as well (less cheap, a lot of space taken up).

Good advice above on equipment. Do you actually plan to build a darkroom or go with existing makeshift facilities (bathroom, basement, etc.). I stated in a makeshift fashion until I was sure that I would stick with the processing. I liked the challenge and gradually developed more sophisticated procedures. Early on the biggest headaches for me was dust control in negative development. Don't worry about it to start with just get familiar with the equipment and don't develop negatives that you value highly. Just practice printing with negs you already have. Further on you'll want a water filter in the water line. You'll have to deal with water temperature control but you don't have to be fanatical about it. You'll have to have a place to dry the negs in a dust free place - say an air filtered drying column.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quick, good info. Thanks guys.

To begin with, and get my feet wet, I want to start with developing. And if I get that figured out, I will move to printing.

The deal is, I don't want to buy everything new. So just picking up someones discarded entire darkroom seems like a good way to go financially.

Jim, I hate reading instructions. Although sometimes I do resort to that. I just need to have something in my hand to relate to. If I get totally stumped, I'll do just that, probably will anyway, its just that I hate to.

John, wonderful write up. thanks.

Nate, I'll just use the sink in the shop for now, unless I get the bug bad.

Everybody else thanks.

What do you guys think about a Vivitar VI color enlarger with tanks, timers, drums and stuff that I don't understand for 75.00? Or is this "weirdo stuff"?

When checking out the enlarger, if I understand correctly I need a lens and a film holder for each format that the enlarger supports. John you mentioned accessories, are there more things specific to the enlarger other than lens and holder that I need to look for?

Thanks again

where in az are you?

Tucson

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post

What do you guys think about a Vivitar VI color enlarger with tanks, timers, drums and stuff that I don't understand for 75.00? Or is this "weirdo stuff"?

When checking out the enlarger, if I understand correctly I need a lens and a film holder for each format that the enlarger supports. John you mentioned accessories, are there more things specific to the enlarger other than lens and holder that I need to look for?

Thanks again
    It depends on the enlarger. You may also need a condenser and lens board/cone to support each lens.

Color enlargers usually have dial in filtration, so you'll want to check and see if the filters haven't faded (a problem I've heard on some older color enlargers---someone more knowlegable than I can chime in here!)

If you want to soup roll film just get a patterson tank, a thermometer, a graduate and swizzle stick for mixing chemicals and some containers to store the chemicals in. Patterson tanks, graduates and swizzle sticks are all easily found used. For storage containers there are lots of options. A cheap plastic funnel is helpful to fill up whatever you choose for containers. I have a stash of old one gallon amber glass Robetussin jugs a pharmacist used to save for me. I think they come in plastic now but it should work as well. Or empty a couple of jugs of wine (in green or amber glass jugs) and replace the metal screw caps with plastic ones. Cheers! Some clothes pins and a hanger you can hang from the shower head in a shower can by used to hang your film up to dry. Load the Patterson reel in a dark room or changing bag. A film retrieval tool is handy if your have a lot of 35mm and tend to rewind the tail back into the film cartridge. Once you've got your film in the tank and the lid is on you can turn on the lights. You can use the timer on your oven or one of those spring driven kitchen timers (or your wristwatch for that matter!)
    You'll need a film developer, short stop and fixer plus water for washing your film afterward (I take the lid off the Patterson tan and leave it under the faucet to fill up ten or so times, dumping the water out between fill ups. If you have hard water in your tap make sure the last couple of rinses are with distilled water)

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White