Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chamonix website up and running

Re: Chamonix website up and running

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Gallarotti View Post
    Which is an even cooler surprise, especially because it arrived the day in which I got my marriage license, exactly a week before my wedding... when I was absolutely not even thinking about the Chamonix, all busy as i was in the last minute preparative.

Hugo, good luck with your move!
    you should shoot your wedding photo with that.

Got mine. It's lovely. I did notice though that there is a rectangular area of splotchiness on the screen as if there were some moisture trapped between the fresnel and the GG. This roughly corresponds to the the 6x9 frame. Anyone else have this? How do I remove one of the screens to fix this?

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I received mine yesterday. Thanks, Hugo, for the excellent honest service. This is an excellent piece of engineering, and very intuitive to operate. I'll be exposing films this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
    Got mine. It's lovely. I did notice though that there is a rectangular area of splotchiness on the screen as if there were some moisture trapped between the fresnel and the GG. This roughly corresponds to the the 6x9 frame. Anyone else have this? How do I remove one of the screens to fix this?
    I noticed the same. I will see, if this disturbs me, when I have a lens in, before I try to fix something, what has no effect.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Pretty easy fix. Just remove the four screws and round black retainers and then the glass. I just puffed my breath on the glass and wiped it with a lens cloth or tissue, and the splotch was gone. Carefully re-assemble, and the whole affair took me 3-4 minutes.

(alert: newbie question!)

so I was just playing around to get familiar with the movements and I noticed that the ground glass is *very* dim. I was at home and pointing the camera at a cup that was standing right under a 60W bulb and I could barely see it and mostly from one single position (as soon as I look at the ground glass from a different angle I see nothing).

Here is an image that shows the contrast between the actual 60W light (in the background) and the image on the glass:

(and btw, this image is a little photoshopped to bring out the image on the glass)

Is this expected behavior with any 4x5? Do I need to always use some black cover even indoors? Is there a way to improve the visibility of the glass itself? I looked it up and people were talking about putting drops of oil in the center of the glass to get a stronger image but I am not inclined to do anything like that. Do I just need to learn to live with it?

My lens is a 135mm f/5.6 by the way.

Do I need to always use some black cover even indoors?
    Yep, that's it.

Is this expected behavior with any 4x5? Do I need to always use some black cover even indoors?
    Yes. A believe me, this screen is very bright. Which lebs did you use?

Is there a way to improve the visibility of the glass itself?
    You could use a folding hood, which is offered on the Chamonix website. I use one with my Wista, and sometimes I can work without dark cloth.

Ted Mishima

I would imagine for critical focus, you'd want a dark cloth and loupe under most circumstances...

I just received news my payment has reached Hugo and that my camera will be shipped next week! I'm dying here!!!

Ted