Thread: Lens quality

Lens quality

As you folks know I am looking for a cheap 3-1/2inch 90mm lens I am down to three
    lens
    one is wollansak wide angle 90mm, also a KOMURA 90mm Wide-Angle Lens and last is a fujinon SW-8 90mm all could be within my reach?

any thoughts on these, simple responce is all that is required ,Thanks a lot:
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Re: Lens quality

In my opinion, the order of preference would be:
    1. Fujinon - it is more modern and an excellent lens
    2. Wollensak - in its time it was great and has a good image circle stopped down
    Komura - kick it off the list

Well, I have half a mind!

Lauren,

I would think the image quality of the Fujinon would win this one hands down, and would likely have a larger image circle to boot.
    Bryan

If this is the thread you're referring to regarding our knowledge of your wideangle search . . .

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=39748

then you probably want a modern design like the Fuji. I think you'd need a significant image circle to achieve the kind of effects you're seeking. I mounted the Fuji 90/8 on my 8x10 once,* and it would have substantial movement on 4x5.

The Komura 90/6.3 looks like a modern design, but I know less than nothing about it.

I have a couple of cheap 90s I want to unload---one 90mm Wolly and one 90/8 Ilex Caltar---if you're interested, contact me off-list.

* Note: the 90/8 Fuji doesn't cover 8x10, doesn't come close to covering, and I was only curious because I wondered what shape its image would be if I mounted it on a Hobo. Please do not cite this thread in the future as proof that a 90/8 Fujinon covers 8x10.
    Last edited by John O'Connell; 27-Aug-2008 at 08:13. Reason: misplaced definite article

I own the Komura 90mm/6.3, and although I have not used it a lot, I have been very satisfied with the look of 4x5 transparencies it makes. It shows significant curvature of field, but I understand that that is the nature of the beast, and it is well tamed by stopping down. It covers 5x7, and because the back focus is more than 5 inches, it is easy to use on my 5x7 Cambo with its very stiff, old, long bellows even without a recessed lens board. It is easier to use in fact than a 120mm Angulon I have.

It is big though. The filter size measures to be about 86mm and on the Cambo board it weighs 984 grams.

Thank you all for your forthright ness and help in this matter ,Now I can sit and think about what you have said: Forgot to say I only shoot 4x5 : Lauren
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Lauren, Wollensak made both f6.8 and f12.5 90mm lenses, maybe f9.5 early on, but probably uncoated. The f12.5 has a lot more coverage than the f6.8.

Ernest : I was very luck got myself a Wollensak Series IIIa Extreme Wide Angle 3-1/2inch (90mm) F-12.5 may show up on my door step by 09/02/08 ??
    Lauren MacIntosh

I have a Schneider f8 super angulon and it is great. Try looking on Ebay.

Go for the Fujinon 90

Maybe too late I guess ,but I would vote for the Fujinon 90.

Sincerely,

Hany.