Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Velvia for slot canyons in UT in Oct?

Ron Miller

Which Velvia for slot canyons in UT in Oct?

Guys,

I want to spend 1.5 months getting use to a 4x5 color slide film before going on vacation to southern Utah to a few slot canyons (been there a few times already). At that time I expect to see wild reds in the indirect light on the sandstone as well as trees with green trees and brush as well as the cottonwoods which will be bright yellow and deep blue skies.

Until now I have focused on B&W. While that will be my main focus, I know I will fall to the temptation of those amazing colors (like I always do) and since I will be leaving the digital at home, . . .

My 1st thought was with Velvia 50 for the saturation (which I like) but it's hard to find in sheets (quickloads are easy to find by $99 for 20, argh).

Anyone care to share what they would use in my situation? I do have a fuji quickload holder.

I'll be there for 2 weeks.

Thanks

Re: Which Velvia for slot canyons in UT in Oct?

Since you know Velvia 50, I'd suggest you stay with it. 2 weeks isn't long enough to test other versions of Velvia, and learn how to see with it. Go with what you know.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Ron Miller

Walter, 6 weeks, not 2.

I use Provia for most situations. You could tryAstia in more contrasty situations, but shot some first and see if you like the color palette. I don't really like it much, so I stick with Provia. From my tests though, Astia gave me about 1/2 stop more contrast range than Provia, and almost all of it in the highlights.

It's really hard to hold the contrast in a slot canyon situation. You can pull process - don't try more than 1/2 stop or they just look muddy.

Have fun - I love that area.

last time I was there I shot both Velvia 50 and 100. I liked the results in the slots of the 100 best- the reds were pretty amped up and I personally liked the results. I think I have a few examples of lower antelope on my website if you want to check out what 100 looks like- see www.ericpeterblackimages.com.

by the way- difinately make sure you bracket while you are there- the light can be very tricky (and ever changing) and its easy to blow out highlights in an image there.

have fun- its a pretty cool place

Ron Miller

Eric,
    Thanks. Is that 100 or 100F you're using? What is the difference between 100 and
    100F anyway?

Yeah, I was there last year for (just) 3 days so I want to spend a while there this year.

P.S. I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error when I go to your website.

Thanks,
    Ron

You are likely to have long exposures in the slot canyons. Probably in the 30 to 120 second range.

Velvia 50 requires reciprocity compensation when the exposures are longer than 1 second (if I remember correctly). Provia, on the other hand, permits 128 second exposures with no compensation.

Ron Miller

Is there a data sheet whete I can understand the strengths and weaknesses of Velvia 50, 100, 100F as well as Astia and Provia?

Thanks,

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/pro...lms/index.html

Click on each film product to go to its webpage. At the bottom of each webpage is a link to a pdf file for the datasheet.

Another film worth testing is Kodak's E100VS. I'm starting to use it more often and I like it more all the time.

Sometimes I find Velvia 50's blues and greens too reddish for my taste and E100VS's cooler blues and greens are more pleasing to my eye.

On the downside, sometimes E100VS's blues are over the top. They almost punch you in the face.