Page 85 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Waterfalls

John Olsen

Re: Post Your Waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and hope you don't mind a comment about this photo. The scene is delightful, with a complex geometry and varying forms. But in black and white, it gets jumbled for me and, at least at about an 8x10 size on the screen, is perhaps too busy. I would love to see this image in color, which I think can do a better job of separating areas of what are similar greyscale tones here with the addition of hue. Alternatively, perhaps a very big print would bring more to the image as you could visually explore it and see all the details and areas of interest without so much complexity focused in a small area.

This is something I really struggle with at times in places with a lot of visual interest, especially using wide angles. I've been trying to shoot color more lately with an eye for not just creative use of color but also as a way to express those similar "tones" as distinct "hues" instead. I'd be especially interested in the brownish hues I would imagine those rocks having playing off the green forest/moss and grey/white of the water and rock.
    Well, you're right about the jumble and I'll admit that some recent color work here ("Yankee Boy" above, for example) is breathtaking. I'm self-limiting because of my churlish resistance to digital printing and I know I should just get over it. I used to shoot color and do R4 prints, but they would be embarrassingly dull compared to current digital outputs. As you suggest, larger prints help so that the viewer can feel more inside the image. I have been going up to 16x20, which is my darkroom limit. Thanks for the valuable input.

John Olsen

More water, less jumble? This is Smith's Falls in Border County, Idaho. Toyo 45G, 210mm lens with Rollei infrared, scanned from print.

[IMG]SmithFalls13BFlkr by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I like the near/far relationship!

I'm actually going to be in Idaho for a week and a half next month, with hopefully my 4x5...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Smith sure had some nice falls! Well captured and the IR adds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    A local creek, back when there was water in it...

Seneca Competitor, Sironar-N 210/5.6, Arista.EDU Ultra 100 in HC-110 dil H
    Just found this thread, love this photograph, I really like that the water looks like it is flowing (not just burnt out smoke). Great detail and choice of scene many people would have walked on by without making a photograph.

Good images. I set up to photograph a small waterfall in Crested Butte, CO. People watched me set up then spent the rest of the time taking selfies and family snapshots in front of my camera. God was testing my patience. I finally left an hour later with no image. Going back hopefully in a couple weeks when the colors have come out so will try then.

I posted this in the landscape thread, but thought I'd double up since I have no better way to waste time when I should be cutting mats.

I was on a 25+ mile bike ride in July with the 5x7, testing out the possibilities. A small little fall in Ossagon Creek, the last drop before the creek meets the beach.

5x7 platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creek,OssogonRocks.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Rework of an old scan.

Sixpenny Creek by Scott, on Flickr

Korona 8x10, Wray Lustrar process lens

Refreshingly different waterfall view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Refreshingly different waterfall view.
    Thanks Jim!