Page 92 of 96 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Waterfalls

Re: Post Your Waterfalls

Do you know what the rock is there? Looks like limestone or dolomite, but hard to tell for sure...

This isn't a very sharp shot but that's okay, I like the feel of it. I shot it with my Verito because I was doing a soft-focus image, and then wanted to do a sharp shot and the lenses I had with me were either longer or shorter to the detriment of the composition, so just used the Verito stopped down to f/32.

Yosemite Falls, from the trail below. I was shooting in the middle of the sidewalk and got so many people asking me questions, which is probably another reason it's not sharp because I rushed focusing while answering questions and making small talk. I really don't do well with that.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Do you know what the rock is there? Looks like limestone or dolomite, but hard to tell for sure...
    It's dolerite, part of the Whin Sill. Molten rock was injected between layers of sandstone and limestone, and (being very hard and resistant to erosion) forms many prominent features in Northumberland and the north:

- parts of Hadrian's Wall are built along outcrops (the vertical north face providing a head start)
    - Bamburgh and Lindisfarne Castles both sit on outcrops
    - the upper sides of the High Cup Nick valley are vertical exposures of the Whin Sill

I visited High Cup Nick a few years ago and (rather stupidly) decided to walk up along the scree just below the exposed dolerite instead of along the path in the valley bottom. It probably took at least twice as long, and I picked a small lump of rock on the way as a souvenir.

I sat and ate a sandwich at the top, looking down the glorious valley, and got chatting to another visitor. He turned out to be something of a geologist, and I showed him my souvenir. Ah, you've got a bit of 'contact' he exclaimed. Sure enough the lower portion of my piece of rock was full of holes (much like Swiss cheese) where the molten rock had come in contact with the limestone and something radical had happened (vapourised it? I don't know).

The whole flattish area at the top is limestone (above the dolerite) and is full of sink holes and bits of 'pavement'. Fascinating place, it's on the Pennine Way route as well.

(Apologies for the temporary excursion 'off topic' )
    Last edited by peter brooks; 3-Jul-2022 at 08:41.

Thanks, Peter! And no problem with the story - I love running into interesting people when I'm outside doing things.

In much of the western US, where I've lived all my life, the limestone and dolomite forms the resistant rock layers, as it is sandwiched between softer sandstones and shales.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This isn't a very sharp shot but that's okay, I like the feel of it. I shot it with my Verito because I was doing a soft-focus image, and then wanted to do a sharp shot and the lenses I had with me were either longer or shorter to the detriment of the composition, so just used the Verito stopped down to f/32.

Yosemite Falls, from the trail below. I was shooting in the middle of the sidewalk and got so many people asking me questions, which is probably another reason it's not sharp because I rushed focusing while answering questions and making small talk. I really don't do well with that.

Thats has a vintage feel to it. I like the depth the soft focus lens gave the image.

Middle Hungarian Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Toyo 45AII, Fujinon 90mm, FP4+

Hungarian Falls
    by Kevin Pihlaja, on Flickr

Nice - I really like that composition, Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Nice - I really like that composition, Kevin.
    Thanks Gregg. I wish the two big rocks stood out a little more but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinjp View Post
    I wish the two big rocks stood out a little more but oh well.
    I like this too - try burning or dodging in the area just behind the rocks so that their edges stand out a bit more.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I like this too - try burning or dodging in the area just behind the rocks so that their edges stand out a bit more.
    Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.