Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $20 milspec 'dorff carrier!

Re: $20 milspec 'dorff carrier!

Yikes! I just got home from Cub Scout Camp and saw how this thread has taken off. I a still don't know how to post a photo of this rig---I understand it needs to be a "file" and I'm not sure where my bride sticks her photos (she tells me it's not in a file??)

Anyway, I liked this bag so much that I bought another one just to hold extra film holders. So far this one will take 12 8x10 holders with plenty of room on top for other gear. If I could find a suitable 6"x6" tupperware container I could probably fit a couple of lenses on boards on top.

Now 12 8x10 film holders wieght quite a bit especially when stuck in a rather "overbuilt" sack. It certainly can be carried quite a distance from the car when slung over the shoulder but I would not consider it a substitute for real back pack for long distances.

What this set-up does do is gives me an insulated, padded place to keep my gear which fits easily in the passenger foot well of my pick up truck without screaming "camera gear!" In one trip I can quickly bring my entire 8x10 kit to a location---one bag over the shoulder, tripod over the other shoulder and still have a hand free. I was told that these were built to hold a 5 gallon water can (which, fully loaded are brutally heavy!)and are a fashionable "coyote tan"

Anyway, that's the latest. If I can find the time I'll see how much 5x7 stuff I can get one of these to digest.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    I'm a big fan of surplus military gear, it's usually very cheap and very durable! I don't know how they would travel to other countries though, if it looked like military gear.
    The only visible external indication of military origin is a ubitquitous "US" in about two inch high letters stencilled on one sides in black ink.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I just learned that Twin City Surplus in Reno/Sparks Nevada has these things in stock.

I shot a few pics of my surplus jerrycan case.

Pros: Cheap, doesn't look like a camera case, built to last, provides good protection.

Cons: Heavy, bulky, looks like a gov't mule feedbag.

Thats the one! I've got two of 'em now. The second one is just for film holders