Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF Professionalism in the Field?

LF Professionalism in the Field?

Here in Switzerland, and in Europe in general, LF photographers seem to be rare. The only one that I met or worked with in more than 15 years was my friend Paul Schilliger. If you visit Switzerland and see a guy beside a Toyo Wiew on Gitzo tripod looking at the world through various black cardboards with rectangular holes in them, it's him. So, if you are allowed to bring your handguns along to Switzerland, please do not shoot at him (and at me either, as I could be nearby). Paul is a very nice guy despite of what he wrote here above. :-)

People here usually react in different ways to a LF gear. They often ask why I use such an old camera, some try to look knowledgeable, once they asked me whether I was working for the Swiss TV, and many tried to be in the picture faking that they did not notice. I met some 24x36 and MF photographers, some of them patiently waited until I finished my picture to take the same, but I never met anybody rude.

In my earlier life I was an entertainment/concert photographer, shooting just about every imaginable rock, country or jazz artist who pulled through Denver. I met and interviewed many, many people that the general public would die to meet, but once I gave that up and jumped full-time into the landscape photo biz, I was shocked at how much more excited I was to meet big-name photographers than I ever was meeting world-famous rock stars. Luckily, except for one notable Colorado photographer who thinks waaaay too highly of himself, the famous photogs I have met have all been gems to talk to. My only problems usually come from those who THINK they're much more important than they really are.

Thanks Emil, I owe you something now... I went to the ophtalmo recently and he w as astonished when he saw that my retinas are becoming square. He had never seen that syndrom before except fro m a guy who had spent too much time on the internet.

As a matter of fact, I was out today on a mountain road pointing my Linhof mount ed with a 450 Fujinon on Wista extension tubes to a rock detail above me when I was met by a couple of semi old walkers (I mean a bit older than me). The lady stared at my bazooka saying "Cet appareil, il est formidable!" two or three times. We had a very nice chat, the man thought I was shooting on plates and the lady that I was after cha mois. I am glad I do not have your 8x10 in those circumstances, I would be still there talking!

The name of the rude photographer in question was Jack. I guess he was having a bad brain day.

Steve, We all have a few bad "brain" days every year. That does NOT make us all bad people, or rude people by nature. We often regret what we did and what we said during those bad "brain" days, right? So let's not to trash anyone's name on the internet. Instead, let's look on some brighter sides, and get over it. Cheers,

I've met just about everyone who shoots out West here and every one of them has been nothing but nice, nice, nice. And very free with their time and information. Some have even looked at my portfolio that I usually lug around with me in case I stop by a gallery in the hope they will take a look at it. Or whomever I can hogtie to show them my stuff. Big names are no different than you and I except they are approached more often by their fans than you and I. Last summer I was a long, long, long, looonnnggggg way from the nearest road, wishing I hadn't lugged my heavy 4x5 with all the film, filters, polaback, extra lenses, heavy tripod, ect with me when, as I rounded a bend in the trail, there stood, under the cloth, an old guy with an old 8x10 Kodak. Not only was he carrying a full load of camera gear, but a couple days provisions w/water. I felt so foolish for all my complaining I had been doing about the weight I had been carrying. He was a really cool dude too. James

I was photographing in public once, using a large, 4x5 monorail camera. A woman and her husband/boyfriend/significant-other were walking by, and as they approached she said "Nice camera!" As they passed behind me she may have noticed the "Linhof" label or even the "Kardan Bi-System" label, because she said, "REALLY nice camera!!!"

Geeze, I run into LF shooters all the time. Sometimes in the middle of Nevada or Utah(really remote locations too) I meet them. I think to myself, why the heck is this idiot way the heck out here in the middle of nowhere? Doesn''t he know that this isn't a Natl Park?! Why anyone would want to go where I go is beyond me. Except for Dan "Shooter" Smith. Or Ranger Bob. I love it whenthere is another photographer to talk with about the aesthetics of photography. Camped with opne fellow once near Mono Lake. Had a good time too. You've all seen his work in Arizona Highways. Really nice guy. Name Dropper