Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Tripod rules

NYC Tripod rules

As of Aug 13 2008, it appears that you won't need a permit to use a tripod in NYC as long as you're also not taking up more than 1/2 of the sidewalk. Note the definition of "handheld devices"
    (MORE: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...ules_final.pdf)

The following activities do not require that a permit be obtained pursuant to this
    chapter:
    (i) Filming, photography, production, television or radio remotes occurring on City
    property, as described in subdivision (a) of this section, involving the use of handheld devices as defined in paragraph three of subdivision (a) of § 9-02, (A) if such activity does not involve ... exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge or (B) if such activity does not involve the assertion...of exclusive use of more than one-half of a sidewalk or other pedestrian passageway...

AND paragraph three of subdivision (a) of § 9-02 says:

(3)“Hand-held devices” shall mean (a) film, still or television cameras, videocameras or other equipment which are held in the photographer's or filmmaker’s hand and carried at all times with the photographer or filmmaker during the course of filming, or (b) tripods used to support film, still, television cameras or videocameras...

So since handheld photography equipment is allowed, and tripods are defined as being handheld, then you don't need a permit for tripod photography as long as you're leaving 1/2 of the sidewalk free for pedestrians.

Re: NYC Tripod rules

Does anyone follow the rules in New York? Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Andi Heuser

That's great! Thank you.
    What's the situation in other cities?
    I have heard ,that there's a tripod restriction in Paris,France.
    Any information?
    Last edited by sanchi heuser; 13-Aug-2008 at 04:01. Reason: Just changed expression of a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchi heuser View Post
    That's great! Thank you.
    What's the situation in other cities?
    I have heard ,that there's a tripod restriction in Paris,France.
    Any information?
    If you even touch the ground with a tripod in Paris, alarm bells go off somewhere and some gendarme will come running, according to what I've heard. That's why I stick to handdheld 4x5.

OK - we need a volunteer to go to Times Square and set up their rig on a sidewalk. Then report back on what happens.

Andi Heuser

Smile Re: NYC Tripod rules

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    If you even touch the ground with a tripod in Paris, alarm bells go off somewhere and some gendarme will come running, according to what I've heard. That's why I stick to handdheld 4x5.
    Hmm,
    That's not fine.
    How to get a permit?

Paris is absolutely wonderful.I made photos there with a oneway-camera.
    There I had the vague idea ,that I need probably a "little change of the equipment".

Isn't that a good reason to get a permit

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Not true, there is a very long and interesting discussion in the French Galerie-Photo forums :

http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/...&i=3161&t=3161

For those who don't speak or read French, basically, as long as you are sensible and don't put your tripod in people's way, there should be no problem or, at least, as long as you can explain that you are not taking pictures for gain or within certain government-owned sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    OK - we need a volunteer to go to Times Square and set up their rig on a sidewalk. Then report back on what happens.
    The real catch is that you have leave open at least 8 feet of space on sidewalks for pedestrians. That effectively makes it impossible to use a tripod in most of Times Square, since the sidewalks there are less than 16 ft wide.

According to the rules, tripods are permitted

"if such activity does not involve...exclusive use of more than one-half of a sidewalk

or,

in a situation in which the sidewalk or pedestrian passageway is narrower than sixteen feet, does not involve... exclusive use of the sidewalk or pedestrian passageway such that less than eight feet is otherwise available for pedestrian use."

I don't shoot much in Times Square, myself. It's kinda touristy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I don't shoot much in Times Square, myself. It's kinda touristy these days.
    Yeah - they kind of ruined the neighborhood when they let that Disney store in.