Thread: Which 8x10 Arca Swiss for Landscape, Architecture?

Beverly Hills, California

Which 8x10 Arca Swiss for Landscape, Architecture?

Hello. To those who have used Arca Swiss 8x10s: Which of their 8x10 models and configuaration http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=106 is most suitable for the field (landscape and architecture photography in the field)?

Thanks for any useful insight.

Re: Which 8x10 Arca Swiss for Landscape, Architecture?

I use the F-Classic with Orbix in both 4x5 and 8x10 configurations for mostly landscapes and architecture. The F-metric adds geared shift, which I didn't feel was necessary for my usage and slightly increases the weight of the camera, and the Monolith, while very sturdy, is also very heavy and IMO a studio camera only. I enjoy using Orbix (I like the geared front tilt and don't have to waste time locking the tilt movement down while iteratively focusing) and consider it a worthwhile investment.

Please note that if you are purchasing new (i.e., 141mm front standard), you probably will also want to purchase an 8x10 front frame extender (069000). The 141mm front frame is centered for 4x5, and needs to be raised to be centered for 8x10 (otherwise you must use most of the available front rise to center the lens, leaving little remaining rise available).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    .....if you are purchasing new (i.e., 141mm front standard), you probably will also want to purchase an 8x10 front frame extender (069000). The 141mm front frame is centered for 4x5, and needs to be raised to be centered for 8x10 (otherwise you must use most of the available front rise to center the lens, leaving little remaining rise available).
    I decided to purchase the 8x10 Metric-F version instead of the Classic, and so far have found the slightly increased weight of the Metric version minor when compared with the ease of use. Otherwise, I agree completely with everything Eric Leppanen said, especially about the extender.

Either one will serve you well.

More comes down to the style of shooting you are use to. Some like gears, others prefer a lighter, simpler machine. I went with the Classic set up for my 4x5, when my friends got the Metric style. I haven't missed the gears.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

With 8x10, it is nice to have geared shift on the front standard.

have tou heard of the arca misura 8x10 ?