Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden tripod performance

blanco_y_negro

Wooden tripod performance

Hello everyone: I'd like to know if there is any published information (test reports, etc) on th e vibration dampening effects of wooden tripods vis-a-vis their metal counterpar ts of comparable quality and build. Thank you in advance..

Supposedly wooden tripods have better vibration dampening qualities than metal, but it depends upon the camera you are using. Some of the Medium Format cameras, such as the Hasselblad and Mimaya with the large mirrors set up quite a bit of vibration when the mirror swings up. If the tripod resonates at the frequency of the mirror slap, vibration can be considerable. There is not enough vibration in view cameras to worry about. I use both with my 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras and cannot tell any difference because the only vibration present is from wind and outside factors. The shutters have very tiny amounts of vibration, not enough to affect image sharpness. This is from my own experience and from reading what others have written. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Emerehan,

Call Keith Soderstrom, President & CEO of Ries Industries (His company makes Ries tripods) at (206) 842-9558. He's a great guy to talk to and he can probably point you to those test reports. In addition, think about Doug's comments. Just make a lot of sense. Cheers,

I haven't seen any studies on the subject and am no engineer.

While it would seem "common sense" that wood would absorb vibrations better, at the same time consider the preferred material for violins, cellos, pianos, etc.

Have you ever felt the sting of a bat when you hit the ball soundly? Or when splitting wood, felt the sting when the sledge contacts the wedge just right?

Many instruments (trumpets, trombones, bells, triangles) are made of metal. I'd guess that wood is the preferred material for violins and cellos precisely because its dampening effects (compared to metal) are desireable for those instruments. Making them of metal would produce instruments that are far too strident. A bell, for example, made of wood would certainly sound more "dead" than a metal one (less "ring"), confirming that the wood does dampen vibrations better.

Well, like I say, I'm no engineer, but isn't the big wooden area under the strings on a piano called a sounding board? And isn't the back of a banjo called a resonator?

blanco_y_negro

Thanks to everyone who have responded to my query. I know that wood is preferable to other materials in a lot of areas. Especially having played the violin, I am well aware of the resonating nature of wood, and kinds of wood that might be needed for particular purposes. Having recently bought a Ries tripod, I am quite satisfied as far as tripods go. My question was simply a matter of scientific curiosity. Doug Paramore's answer certainly makes sense; but wooden tripods are also said to minimize the effect of wind, water, etc. even though you might be using a view camera, which does not have a slapping mirror. Best regards..

I should precede this by saying that I do not have any information about tests between wooden and metal tripods - the idea to contact Ries is probably a good one.

Its my understanding that resonance is more determined by the design of the overall structure than by material. The simplest example to demonstrate resonance is to have a column of water whose height you can adjust. If you hit a tuning fork and hold it over the column of air above the water, at certain heights you will get resonance. This proves that even a column of air can provide resonance. If the dimension that a wave of vibration is travelling along is specific multiples of the vibration wavelength, it will develop resonance since reflecting wavelengths will be magnified by incoming wavelengths. Its the reason armies are told to break step when they march across bridges etc. The stridency or otherwise of metal versus wood instruments is more due to the mix of overtones and harmonics - musical instruments are typically designed in specific shapes to provide resonance. As Sean points out, the sounding board of a piano or the box of the hollow body guitar are designed to provide an air pocket that can pick up the vibrations from the wood and 'amplify' it. A Dobro guitar, which is made of metal, can have a distinctly different, somwhat jangly sound since the metal probably vibrates in different ways and provides a different mix of overtones.

This does not mean that wood and metal do not have different properties in terms of vibration sustenance. Metal may be better at transmitting or reflecting vibration than wood (especially non resonant frequencies which are also damaging for our purposes) etc. However, resonance is not a function of material alone but also of the overall structure. In fact, I would venture that the design might have a greater impact than choice of material.

In general, vibration (and the perhaps accompanying resonance amplified vibration) is more of an issue with cameras with moving parts - slapping mirrors, shutters etc. With view cameras, there are very few moving parts during exposure. Even the shutter tends to be a leaf shutter which does not have the jerk and stop of a focal plane shutter. So, I would guess that the risk of resonant vibrations is less of an issue. I think the superiority of wooden tripods tends to come from the fact that they were typically uncompromisingly designed for one task - to support a large view camera. They tend to be large and heavy and that's got to count for something. Metal tripods have typically been designed with more compromises in mind - seductive appeals of lightness/compactness etc. One could possibly design a metal version of the wood tripod (something like a studio stand - good luck carrying that around).

Still, all of this is just hypothesizing. Some data from Ries or some place would be more enlightening. Just my rambling thoughts for the morning. Cheers, DJ.

One last thought on tripods. There are few things in photography with the feel, the beauty, and the functionality of a well designed and manufactured wooden tripod such as the Reis. And for us ol' LF shooters, the wooden tripods just seem to fit. The metal ones are good and hold the camera up off the dirt, but the feel and the beauty just aren't there.

Regards,

The wooden tripods I've carried all had a lot of resonance. My shoulders, arms, and legs resonated for days after lugging the things around. I'd have to see some pretty terrific tests before I'd trade my 4-6 pound Gitzo and Bogen tripods for a 12 pound wooden tripod. I love to look at Ries tripods though - on someone else's shoulder. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.