Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A fun outing on Vancouver Island.

A fun outing on Vancouver Island.

I am vacationing/working here on Vancouver Island for a few more weeks. Staying at Cowichan Bay. I remember seeing some posters from Victoria here and I was wondering if we could go somewhere nice one day and take some pictures. I am on vacation so any day is fine in the next 2 weeks except for Sundays. Thank you.

Re: A fun outing on Vancouver Island.

If you like flowers, Butchart Gardens is a pleasant place.

For real adventure, visit Della Falls, the highest in Canada.

Also Tofino and the west coast trail.

Cathedral Grove, for big trees.

Have fun!

That's funny....I'm on my way to Alberta for a few weeks....otherwise I'd show you around the waters of Sooke and up island along the way to Tofino. Saltspring and the other gulf islands are beautiful.

If you like tide pools you can find excellent ones at Botanical Beach. It's basically where the road ends going west from Sooke. Excellent tide pools at low tide. And when the tide comes in there can be wonderful wave action on the rocks.

If you go be sure you have enough gas to make the round trip back to Sooke. The only gas at Port Renfrew is at the marina which is rather awkward to get to and has limited hours.

Bruce Watson

Mark

I will be on Vancouver Island (Sooke) during the week of August 18. I will be bringing my 4x5 with me, and would also be interested in finding good things to shoot or other LF people to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I will be on Vancouver Island (Sooke) during the week of August 18. I will be bringing my 4x5 with me, and would also be interested in finding good things to shoot or other LF people to meet.
    Man, you're all coming in while I'm away. Never fails!

I second botanical beach. Here's a cruddy JPG from the tide pools on the beach.

unfortunately the week of the 18th the tides are not significantly low... for the primo costal formations and pools the tides need to be below 2.5...

oh... and there are a LOT of bears this year... they have even been on the beach at dawn so be bear aware!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    unfortunately the week of the 18th the tides are not significantly low... for the primo costal formations and pools the tides need to be below 2.5...
    Good info....never thought of that. I photograph my last wedding on August 30th....then I'm done. Only doing portraiture from now on. Should give me more time to hang out at the beach and forests around Sooke.

As others have said, a drive out to Botanical Beach is a must. Make stops at Mystic Beach and Sombrio Beach on the way. Closer to Cowichan is the beautiful Salt Spring Island. Ferry out from Crofton and then drive/hike to the top of Mount Maxwell and make some spectacular photos of the Gulf and San Juan Islands and the . Victoria is beautiful, too, especially the old downtown core and Beacon Hill Park.