Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid Human Question.

Well, I have half a mind!

Re: Stupid Human Question.

Brian,

Compendium shades are handy for large format but I usually just use a piece of black posterboard handheld just far enough forward that it shades the lens without protruding into the shot.

Bryan

Yeah, I have one of those for my rail camera, but there's no way it'd mount to my field camera... Good idea with the black posterboard.... I usually use my hand, but I've proven that one really doesn't work as well.... Thanks!!

-Brian

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Bryan,,,

A lens hood is nice if you have the time to snap it on and the extra $$ to spend on one or you can do what I do.. I stand between the light source and my camera to simply block the light with my body or darkslide...

Now, I know your going to ask why not get a lens shade instead so you don't have to think of this..?

Just try to find a lens shade to fit around a Schnieder 210mm 5.6 super symmar XL with a diameter of 5 1/2" ... There are no shades made for this lens and as you know it is a wide angle lens when used for 8x10 and 11x14" formats..

I think the only time you really need a lens shade is when you point your camera directly at a setting sun for example ...

Best Rgards
    Steve

PS. As far as roll film and LF goes ,,, well I don't think you wanna hear my opinion on that subject since you already have one...

Hi, Brian.

I guess I'll add my two cents on the side of thinking that this is NOT flair, but a possible leak. This is due to seeing similar problems on a few of my own holders.

Your idea of looking for leaks by having light inside the camera is a good one, but did you do it while you had the holder mounted in the camera? What I'm getting at is that this my be a problem with how the holder 'seats' in the camera or with the light trap in the holder itself.

I have used an alternate method that showed me where my problem was.

Mount the LOADED holder in the camera and go to a totally dark environment. Take the dark slide completely out for some tests and pull it out just far enough to clear the film-to-lens path (but leaving it in the holder) on others. Now, take a very bright table or goose neck lamp and move it all around the outside of the camera back, especially along the lines where the holder fits to the body. Do this with the dark slide out and with it just pulled as described, but on alternate frames of film. Then do the same thing around where the bellows meets the lens standard. Remember to advance the film as you try different areas so you can identify where any leak came from.

Keep some sort of notes about which frames were which lamp placement and which had the slide completely out of the back while you have the light at the light trap. (Sometimes the light trap in the holder is a source of leakage that only occurs when a few rays are in perfect alignment with the gap.)

Have the film processed and see if you have leaks from any of these "exposures". If so, you should be able to identify which end of the camera it is coming from. The cure could be as simple as always keeping the dark slide partly in or keeping your dark cloth over the camera's rear area while shooting.

I now shoot my 4x5 holders only with the dark slide still partly in place and flip my back from right to left to avoid direct side light possibly entering the gap in some holders. Sure the wind will make it wave and could be a problem with very long exposures in a heavy wind, but I haven't seen it happen yet, and since the flexible dark slide is very easy for the wind to move, I can just watch it to see when the breeze has dropped enough to make the shot without wind moving the camera.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

It's not only flair it's Rick Flare,,,,,,;/

Tim,

I'll have to try that soon. I took it out shooting today in a "real world" test. Put three rolls of RVP through it. I'm hoping, after taking another roll and not finding anything, that I'm good. But, if I do have more issues, I'll definitely try your method. I'm sure I'll also try Steve's shade method too!

Thanks!

-Brian