Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Human Question.

Re: Stupid Human Question.

I think it's flare. Light leaks seldom show up in areas of strong back-lighting like you have... just where you'd expect to see flare. What lens was used? Did you use a shade?

Nikkor 150mm f/5.6 - no shade in this shot. Guess I should have used one for this. Was to consumed in my new toy to do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    I'd think it's a flare combined with light reflection. I had a DaYi 6x12cm back for some time and have had similar issues with some of my shots (although not as prominent as this one here).

If there was a bright light source, often diffuse (like sky or anything significantly brighter than the rest of the image), I had a flare starting several millimeters of the edge and disappearing into the image. From what I have found on internet, it seemed to be caused by the black finish of the holder being not matte enough, and reflecting some of the light on the frame. The recommended solution was to repaint the edges of the back with something more truly matte black. I have not done it, have sold the back because I stopped shooting color (in rolls, for which it was intended. And for the occasional color shot I will use the remainder of the sheets I have).
    Jiri, what you describe is not flare (which is caused on the lens) but just a kind of a light leak, caused by a reflection on the roll film holder.
    The OP will find out with the second roll.

And the survey says.....

Dumbass, get a shade for that lens.

Well, got the film back. That was a whole day of b/s in itself. I tell you what, if you live in the Northern Virginia area, don't use ABC Printing. They have a saying, "In by 10am out by 4pm"... About 1pm I get a call saying that they can't process the film. I asked them if their doors were still open and they said yes. I asked them if you're a film processing and printing business, why are your doors still open if you can't do your job. I don't care if you have to process it by hand, just get it done like you said you would. Blah. So I drive down to Penn Camera - about 45 minutes away - to have it processed. After about 20 minutes I get the good news.. Anyway, point to the side story is: ABC in Manassas sucks. Chrome in Georgetown rules.

So, after a few shots, I couldn't find any of the original flare. I did, however, find flare in a different spot than on the first one. I guess it's about time to buy a lens shade for that lens. I've never had issues with it before, but I guess that's no reason for them to start up now.

So, I just wanted to say thank you, again, for everyone's insight. I do appreciate that ya'll are here to help when a moron like me asks dumb questions.

-Brian

Yup, definately flare. Look at how the "glow" is on both sides of the drain pipe yet not on the pipe itself.

Nice shot by the way!

rb

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    Yup, definately flare. Look at how the "glow" is on both sides of the drain pipe yet not on the pipe itself.

Nice shot by the way!

rb
    I'm very happy it turned out to be flare. Thanks for the compliment, but I just set the camera up very quickly and took the shot. I didn't care what I was shooting, I just wanted to see if it worked.

I suspect this is flare based on the LH edge of the house vs the low contrast tree area. Shine a small flashlight inside the bellows to see if any light leaks out in a dim light room.

Bernice,

I agree.

I also did a light leak test and found no recognizable leaks.

On another note, to my pleasant surprise I found a polarizer and one of those pop-out lens shades in the right filter size for this lens. It's always nice to find you have stuff on hand that you don't have to go buy. The only things I'll need to come up with now is a multicoated 52mm UV filter and a red filter for making nice contrasty black and whites. I guess I could get a 52-62 step up ring for my red filter and ND filter...

Thanks!

-Brian

Well, I have half a mind!

Brian,

While a lens shade is always a good idea, I do not think it would have done you any good on the shot in you OP. A lens shade will only block light striking your lens from the side - the light in the OP pic is too direct to block. Also, with the pop-out shade be sure and check you corners to confirm that the shade does not vignette the image - especially on most 150's, where the image circle doesn't give much extra coverage for 6x17 format.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    While a lens shade is always a good idea, I do not think it would have done you any good on the shot in you OP. A lens shade will only block light striking your lens from the side - the light in the OP pic is too direct to block.
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    Also, with the pop-out shade be sure and check you corners to confirm that the shade does not vignette the image - especially on most 150's, where the image circle doesn't give much extra coverage for 6x17 format.
    Found it about 1am, so I haven't tested it yet. Gunna do that shortly. If that doesn't work, what do you recommend? A petal-type shade?

Thanks!

-Brian