Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foto 3 competition - follow up

Foto 3 competition - follow up

"'In deference to this group, we will put the three winners up on the web site. This will take a little time and again, is more than we committed to doing.' - Steve Simmons, June 20, 2008

Welcome back from exile Steve Simmons. Now that you are back and can answer for yourself is there any information on those winners? In your web page you were promising the list on July 10th. Still nothing there. Is the secret safe to share yet?

http://www.foto3-2008.com/httpdocs/exhibits.html

Re: Foto 3 competition -Welcome back Steve.

After talking with several others, including the judges, we are not going to put up anything. Given the lynch mob mentality of a few self anointed people here who made a variety of remarks about us selling out, fraud, the winners doing junket work, etc. we are not going to subject these people to this kind of abuse. I was shocked when people on this forum hunted down the winner on the program back cover on the web and possibly subjected him to the kind of abuse I was subjected to here on this forum. We showed the other winners the thread here and asked them if they wanted to have their names made public and the answer was NO. They are not participants here and don't want anything to do with the mob mentality here of people, most of whem did not participate in etiher the conference or the contest.

There was nothing in the rules about allowing the self anointed here any judgement power over anything to do with foto3. I made an effort to try and have a professional level conversation here with people but that was not possible. The slurs and abusive remarks simply won the debate by shear weight. Even one of the moderators made a comment about the people here who complained being undoubtedly some unhappy participants. This was not true as only 2 of the 14 people who made negative remarks were in the contest and the moderator should have checked his facts before posting such an inaccurate remark.

As an interesting aside, I did put up the names of the judges so people could contact them and have a conversation about the contest and the judging and no one did. That made it clear to me that there was no sincere interest in anything but piling on with nasty remarks that frequently violated the rule on civilty here but the moderators let it go on anyway far too long.

The people who came to the conference and who particiapted in the contest and received prizes are all very happy with the experience and that is what matters.

Sorry people, because of a few who badly overplayed their hand, the judges, myself, and several other advisers all feel there was/is no chance of any professional and respectful conversation on this topic and this will be my last post.

steve simmons

Amazing, rapport-building response, Steve.

I agree with you, Steve. It remains to be seen if moderators can stop the lynching at least this time...

I was not able to attend the conference and regret it terribly. I also regret seeing what has happened with this. What a shame.

Steve,
    I completely agree with your reasons not to post the list here on LFF, but not to list it publicly anywhere else, especially on your site, is a serious slap to those who entered and won.

I think this is a really bad decision and hope you reconsider as it appears the contest was now something of a "secret".

I typically don't enter contests, but this one, being associated with one of my favorite magazines (Viewcamera), I took the plunge. I sent three prints. Regrettably, I was unable to attend the conference. So, I waited patiently to hear news of both the conference and the contest.

I received two of my three prints back very quickly; nervous that one was missing, I called to check on it. The nice lady, can't recall her name, checked and they indeed still had it. Apparently it had been held back. She said I should hear something after the conference and they would return my print then as well. I didn't hear anything. So, I waited.

I sent Steve a PM about it after I continued to hear nothing about the contest results or the whereabouts of my print. Steve didn't get back to me, so I called his office. I spoke with Andrea Miles and she said that I needed to speak with Steve and he would call me back. I waited again.

Two to three weeks later I heard from Andrea by email and she fedexed me my print a few days later. I asked about the contest results but got no reply. I waited.

Then the foto 3 website was updated, results were to be posted on July 10th. If I didn't win, no biggie, but I would like to see the winning prints from a contest I entered and I conference I would of liked to have attended.

Now, the contest organizers, judges, and winners want to keep everything a secret. Why? This all seems very unprofessional.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Clay

Re: Foto 3 competition - follow up

Marmalard: But Foto-3 already has contest winners.

Dean Wormer: Do they? Well, as of this moment, they're DOUBLE SECRET WINNERS!

Going to Tijuana soon...

Forgetting about the fact that we are all photographers and have an honest interest in who won and what photos look like, how can you take money for a contest that involves cash prizes for the winners and not post the winners? I'm sorry if some think Steve is being lynched, but this doesn't smell right.

We showed the other winners the thread here and asked them if they wanted to have their names made public and the answer was NO. They are not participants here and don't want anything to do with the mob mentality here of people, most of whem did not participate in ether the conference or the contest.

I've chosen to respect their wishes.

It is disappointing that after 21 years of never missing an issue no matter what family tragedies befell me, what injuries were inflicted upon me, I remained on task and did what I'd agreed to do only to have a few self anointed people play pile on with negativity. When we showed the earlier thread to the winners one of their questions was "Who the f*** are these people anyway that they can behave this way. We don't want to be subjected to that kind of abuse!"

steve simmons